Aa
A
A
A
Close
Diabetes - Type 2 Community
3.44k Members
Tbd

After testing wait 1 min retest, sometimes theres 20 point diff. Is that common?

External User
testing my sugar
3 Responses
Tbd
External User
It can, depends on when you when you took the test and if you have eaten anything.  Usually, when I test, if it is high and wait about ten minutes before testing again.  Especially if I test first thing in the morning before eating.
231441 tn?1333896366
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi,
two reasons for the difference:-
1. you are rising or dropping quickly.  You would assess this depending on when you took meds, their impact, when you last ate.
2. The meter is not 100% accurate.  There is actually a permissible amount of variation.  Some meters are better than others.   Sometimes meters will be more accurate closer to the normal range of blood sugars (70 - 140 or so) and less accurate with much higher numbers.
Tbd
External User
no
Have an Answer?
Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333896366
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.