Eye Care Forum

Genetic eyeproblems?

Hello. So today I was at a ophthalmologist to get my vision checked. He said it was fine and I didn't need to wear glasses or contact lenses. I had a -0.5 though but he said it was in the normal area. However! My sister got glasses for long-sightedness (inherited from our father) when she was about 10 years old, and my brother first got to use glasses as a 17 year old (for near-sightedness inherited from our mother). Now the thing is, I am a kind of mix between my mother and father while my brother and sister has inherited more from one parent than the other. (My brother = my mother. My sister = my father). I am a bit worried that in a couple of years that I will end like my brothers vision. Or will my fathers long-sightedness and my mothers near-sightedness add up so I will have a good enough vision? (And/or how can I prevent get my vision worsen when I get older. I am currently 15 years old.
If you have inherited nearsightedness or farsightedness from a parent, this is not an eye disease.  This is a refractive error, which is correctable with glasses or contact lenses.  You really cannot prevent the progression of the refractive error as you get older, but these do often tend to stabilize as you enter adulthood.  See your ophthalmologist again in the future if you feel that there is a change in your vision.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.