Eye Care Forum

retinitis pigmentosa

I have retinitis pigmentosa, now I have been diagnosed with bulbar palsy, possible ALS.  My queston is do you think the bulbar palsy could be genetic and linked with the retinitis, maybe as some form of a dystrophy?  Have you ever known or heard of someone having these symptoms and having it be genetic? Should I see a genetic specialist?  I have seen several neurologists and only one sems to think they are linked.  In order to rule out ALS, I have to find someone to help see if there is genetic testing for this.
That is a question that falls outside my area of expertise. You can do you own literature search by using a internet searach engine and seach both terms linked together.

Since you know you have RP and you're not sure if you have Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis it would seem your best bet would be to pursue this latter diagnosis through a neurologist.

JCH III MD
A related discussion, Retinitis Pigmentosa was started.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.