Gastroenterology Community

Inability to Pass Solid Waste After Appendicectomy

I came down with appendicitis last Monday and had surgery that afternoon. Fortunately we were able to remove my appendix before it ruptured. I was on pleasant amounts of anesthesia which I understand can mess with waste functions.

I was unable to urinate on my own until about a day and a half after. I had a catheter during this time and the first several urinations were incredibly painful. I was discharged from the hospital about three days after checking in, but I had yet to pass solid waste. At three and a half days after I had minimal success, and I continued to have minimal success over the next 24 hours. I've been taking Colace stool softener every 24 hours (100-200mg each time).

This morning, at about 5 1/2 days after surgery, my body had reached capacity. I was in an unbelievable amount of pain and tried for about an hour to let nature do its thing. After having no success, I went to the ER with the intention of receiving my first enema and filled out the paperwork. After loudly moaning in pain for an hour and still sitting in the waiting room, I went to the restroom and had one of the most painful experiences of my life. I was a little sore and, thinking the situation had resolved itself, went home. This was about eight hours ago.

Now I am in a bit of pain again, and I feel like I should have solid waste to pass, but am still unable to do so. I took 300mg of Colace about an hour ago.

I feel like the correct thing to do is to go get the enema, but my concern is that my body continues to not function properly even after that. Thoughts?
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem