Severe Fecal Bad Breath

Currently suffering from extreme smell from mouth.

It all started 6 months ago with regular face-to-face bad breath.
Then it got to the point where it would fill rooms and big closed spaces even breathing just through nose (seems impossible I know)
There are moments when the smell's intensity increases almost instantly, then somewhat reduces, but never completely disappears. Whatever the case still incredibly strong.

Been to the dentist, family doctor, gastroenterologist, even ER. Done ultrasound abdominal scan, found nothing but moderate gas in gut (6 hours after eating). Bloodwork came out fine too.

Got prescribed Nexium, Gaviscon and something for bowel movements.

Sometimes get bloated, feel something in throat (probably the LPR) and stool has strong smell.

This is incredibly distressing, don't know what more to do.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello and welcome to the forum.  Thanks so much for your question and we'll try to help.  One thing that can cause foul smelling breath is actually the simple situation of GERD.  If that is the underlying cause, stomach acid mixes with food and possibly bacteria and produces the odor. Another common cause is dry mouth. Hydrate hydrate hydrate. Certain medications can cause dry mouth. If your sinuses are slow to move mucus, this can cause foul breath. Metabolic disorders can cause this. I know you have been to a dentist but something to try if they didn't is an antibiotic mouth wash.

Also, please look at this reference list for ideas:  How would you describe the smell?
A cheesy smell usually indicates your bad breath has a nasal origin.
A fruity smell may indicate uncontrolled diabetes due to increased
A fishy smell may indicate kidney disease, as increased urea levels can cause a fishy smell such as in  (trimethylaminuria)
An acidic smell can be a sign of asthma or cystic fibrosis
A scent of ammonia can indicate kidney problems
A sweet, musty odor may signal liver cirrhosis
A fecal odor may point to a bowel obstruction

Lastly, another area to investigate is something called SIBO.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth/symptoms-causes/syc-20370168  This is another reason people have your symptoms

Please read through this and look and copy and paste the link to read.  Let me know what your thoughts are.
Helpful - 0
Hello, thank you for the elaborate response
Dry mouth doesn't seem to be it. Even after scrapping tongue and using all kinds of mouthwashes the smell is still there. Maybe GERD, but from what I've seen it doesn't create smells this strong.

However I'm starting to think sinuses might be causing this. I have post nasal drip and can't seem to get rid of it in my throat. It is usually clear and doesn't smell (or at least I can't smell it). I sometimes gag when scrubing my tongue and notice then that a slight yellow mucus comes in my saliva. If I persist and gag more times, more of this yellow stuff comes and even a tiny strip of blood with it.

Also notice that when doing sinus rinses, the left one doesn't drain to my throat. Seems to be closed. But I don't think this was happening a few months ago (even though the smell was already nauseous).

Maybe it's SIBO, as I have 2 or 3 compatible symptoms according to the link. I know it gets worse when eating (maybe mouth movement, stomach opening ?) and some other random times, usually same time I get a feeling something's in my throat.

The smell is mostly fecal, although one day after waking up, scrubbed back of tongue with paper. Let it dry and had a musty cheesy smell (normal breath smell ?)

It's a very strange situation, maybe there's someone with similiar symptoms too who got this fixed

It's challenging when your doctors throw up their hands and say it is what it is.  You need someone willing to keep digging. So, talk to the doctor you see most and tell them that you aren't satisfied.  If they can't treat you, who would be willing to keep working on a solution.  They 'could' potentially treat you for GERD to see if any improvement. Or Sibo which is antibiotics given and  diet such as the LOW FODMAP diet. And yes, the issues in the nostrils can create an odor. You need a doctor to help you eliminate causes to find it, if that makes sense.
You're right. Have to keep trying to find help.
Currently on a gluten-free diet, no results but still early.

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem