B6 (pyridoxal phosphate) levels very high in bloodwork

I have been tested twice recently for B6 level.  My first test two months ago indicated a 156 level with normal range being 20-96.  My second test indicated at 283 level.  My physician has no idea what this means and if there is a problem.  I am concerned that there is a toxic level of B6 and I should be doing something about it.  I'm not talking anything except multi-vitamin.  I've been concerned about my health for some time as I'm quite fatigued, anxious at work, balance issues (the term lightheaded would be the closest) eyes are sensitive to light, have trouble focusing on people when they talk, and have a few other issues like trouble concentrating, sense of smell has been gone for years and my sense of taste has been affected for quite some time as well.  My skin is quite raw on the knuckles and I think I have psoriasis as well as my nails are pitted and raised.  Not sure what is related but I definitely feel that there is something physicially wrong with me and this high B6 level has been the first thing to come up as being something worth pursuing.  Any help would be appreciated.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for the info.  Mine was 100 and never rechecked.  I stopped taking my multivitamin  last May.  I still have symptoms.
Helpful - 0
What have you done about diet?  Do you have to watch red meat and foods high in B6?  I am in the process of detoxing right now, and it has not been an easy road.  Many weird symptoms.
Helpful - 0
Egg yolk and pistachios have really high B6 content.
What did your doctor say about exercise?  Is it better to walk as much as possible or is it better to sit around?
Helpful - 0
I quit my multivitamin until just recently.  I don't eat read meat.  My level was never rechecked.  I still wonder if it was a lab error.
Helpful - 0
My wife stopped her supplements with B6 and took the B6 test fasting.  The level was in the normal range.  She took the test again, but from a different lab (Quest in CA instead of Mayo in MN) - it was crazy high.  No logical reason.  We will pay to have LabCorp do another fasting test.  It's a fairly expensive test - not often done.  I'm wondering if it's easy to screw up if the sample is not transported properly...
I think your blood level could have been right.  The level in the blood comes down real fast, but the problem is the B6 that is in your tissues that does the damage.  For some people there is a metabolism problem or maybe the liver is not working right, or because of other medications.  The liver needs to add a phosphate molecule to the B6 for proper use.  If this does not happen, the pure B6 is floating around and is toxic, thus the tissue damage.
Does that mean that you went back on your vitamin?
Helpful - 0
I wonder if lipoic acid or other liver support helps clear the B6?  But if it's in the muscle tissues, it first needs to get moved into the bloodstream.
Or maybe it isn't that the B6 is slow to be broken down, it's that the nerve damage persists.  
Interesting what you said about the b6 is stored in the tissues. I have stopped all vitamins as of three months past but still have symptoms. They have changed tho. Before, it was all numbness, tingling, burning pain. Now it is more achy pain and some feelings of weakness. I wonder if my nerves are healing and what I can do to encourage the healing. My levels were 136 and i was only taking a prenatal vitamin and a packet of E-C every day. (I am breastfeeding a baby).  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community