Neurology Community

Piriformis Syndrome

Hi...

My husband has been diagnosed with bilateral piriformis syndrome most likely brought on by installing new flooring two years ago. He spent days on his knees in a cantilevered position supporting the weight of his torso with his lower back/buttocks.

The knots in his piriformis muscles can be felt by pressing on the area and they are, also, very tender to the touch.

MRI's of his spine and hip joints were normal.

He has tried physical therapy, ice, massage, Skelaxin, Lyrica, two sets of steroid injections, Myoblock injections, all to no avail.  His neurologist can't recommend anything else.

He is in pain 24/7 and sometimes his thigh aches and the back of his calf, plus he gets numbness in a foot and heal. It seems to be worse on one side than the other.  He is 54 years-old and in great shape otherwise.  His doctor told him he had the body of a 30 year-old.  We live gently and take care of ourselves.

I wanted to ask if there are surgical options for this problem.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Carol