Neurology Forum

schwanoma

I had surgery to remove a tumor from my spine on 1-13-02, they called it a sacral tumor.  i was told it was the nerve that controls the bladder and the bowel.  7 months before it was removed, i became physically ill, by that i mean nausea, vomitting every day, horrible pain in my entire abdomen, especially during a bowel movement (usually diahrea), I had previosly been diagnosed with IBS, fibromialgia, and arthritis. Every test that could be done, was.  With no clear answers.  a colonoscopy revealed 3 polyps, 2 benign, and 1 precancerous.  They were removed.
   I have a great deal of pain in my feet, legs, my hips, and my behind.   My abdominal oain in still there, it almost seems worse.  
    i read on the web, that tumors on the specific nerve(s-1) can affect the digestinal system.  Is this true?  I feel lost because, my gastro doc is just treating me with nexium, compazine.
                             hope you can help, thankyou
The innervation to the digestive system and bladder involves the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nerves come out the spinal cord from the thoracic region, and the first two levels (L1 and L2) of the lumbar region. The parasympathetic fibers for the intestine come from the vagus nerve, which travels from the brain, and for the bladder come from the sacral region. Therefore, the sacral region has little to due with your intestine function. The parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system are part of the autonomic (it functions automatically) nervous system. Perhaps there is a more wide spread problem with the autonomic nervous system. You could ask to see a specialist in this area. The Cleveland Clinic and the Mayo Clinic have specialists in this area. I am sure other centers do as well, but I am not familar with them. Good luck.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease