Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

bathing newborn

So i hear you have a choice to let the nurses bathe your baby or not . should i let them bathe her ? is it a good idea or what ?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
We waited till we got home to bathe our son. I also didn't like the fact that they use j&j products. They are full of chemicals.
Helpful - 0
I know at the hospitals here the nurses will ask the morning of your departure if you want to bathe your baby. They offer to walk you thru it step by step so you're more comfortable doing it when you're home. That way you can also ask any questions that you might have. They also suggest only washing your baby every 3-4 days
Helpful - 0
There is no harm in allowing the nurse to bathe ur baby. This is especially giod for hygienic reasons as ur baby may be exposed to blood during birth which is an excellent medium for pathogens. I'm a nurse so from a clinical stand point this is my advuce
Helpful - 0
They bathed my baby right away. He's perfectly healthy and has the softest skin. It's up to you!
Helpful - 0
I let the nurses bathe my baby about 2-3 hours after she was born. We did skin-to-skin and she nursed until then. I will definitely let the nurses bathe my new baby too. My first had so much hair and definitely needed to be bathed.
Helpful - 0
Latest research says to wait at least 6 hours after baby is born to let nurses bathe your baby. Some hospitals will do it right after your baby is born and vitals are taken but you can insist that they wait at least 6 hours or refuse a bath until you get home and can bathe your child. It's very mosuturizing for your babies skin to keep it on longer and provides antimicrobial protection. I know somebody who waited 10 days to bathe their newborn and her baby has the softest, glowing skin I've ever seen on a baby. It's up to you:) you have the right to make your own decision on the matter just make sure your nursing staff is aware of your wishes!
Helpful - 0
I wouldn't bathe the baby right away. The vernix coating is good for their skin. If you wanna be the first to bathe your baby then go ahead. If not, then let the nurse.
Helpful - 0
It depends. Do some research about it. If there's a good bit of vernix caseosa on the baby, it's good to keep that on since it is antimicrobial and moisturizing.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Babies (Newborn to 1 year) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.