Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Co-Sleeping w/ children

On the topic of co sleeping, it just baffles me that in the US it's not generally accepted for a mother and child to share the same bed.  On the contrary, no one bats an eye when a grown man doesn't sleep alone and crowds a woman's bed.  Should a happy couple even have separate bedrooms, to most that indicates a troubled relationshio.  When a young child sleeps in his/her mother's bed, it's somehow thought to promote weak traits for the child.  If my child wants to sleep with me I will not turn them away.  More often that not, it comes down to a battle of childish jealousy from an adult against a child.  An intelligent person realizes the importance of raising a healthy child and being a nurturing parent. The issue of a "threat to the sex life" absolutely cannot hold any measurement of importance.  In my opinion, the arguments against are for selfish and immature reasons. Unless every adult in the house is not allowed to crawl into bed, then why make the child sleep alone while the adults cling to eachother.. Who is the child here?
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
134578 tn?1614729226
This piece of writing sounds like you are responding strongly to someone who has said some of those things.  Did someone on this site say something that indicated they thought it promoted weak traits in the child or that a couple having separate bedrooms indicates a troubled relationship or that there is a threat to the sex life if a child sleeps with the parents?  A lot of parents on this site (and in the U.S. in general) sleep with their kids.  
Helpful - 0
535822 tn?1443976780
it is a matter of choice I think you do whats best for you and the child, many families sleep with their children the family bed is well used,it usually resolves itself when children reach puberty and want more privacy.so my opinion POliver is you do whatever is best for your child and you, let the naysayers do whatever they want to do ...
Helpful - 0
1035252 tn?1427227833
I agree that it should be a family-by-family choice and that co-sleeping doesn't work for everyone and no one should be judged whether they choose to or choose not to co-sleep. however, I co-slept/co-sleep with my kids and will continue to for another few years before they're old enough to want their own beds and space. i will mostly let it be their choice (assuming that they move out by a reasonable age, lol). my toddler doesn't actually bed-share with us anymore because our infant does but my daughter's bed is in our room. it's better for the family dynamic (my husband and i can leave and go to another room if we want to be intimate) and it cuts down our heating costs...we only have to heat the one bedroom lol.

but truly it doesn't work for everyone and I accept that :).
Helpful - 0
470885 tn?1326329037
Co-sleeping doesn't work for our family or for my relationship with my husband....but I'd never think of telling someone that THEY shouldn't do it.  To each their own :)  In my opinion, sleeping arrangements have little to do with how well or poorly adjusted or nurtured a child is overall - but that's just my opinion.
Helpful - 0
1035252 tn?1427227833
All true!

I just looked back and realized that where I put "It's better for the family dynamic" I actually meant "it's better for OUR family dynamic"...important difference!
Helpful - 0
1512722 tn?1313697879
I don't have a child of my own only stepchildren but ik that I'm with  Limonada and that it would not work for my relationship with my fiance. You can call use selfish. But I was not raised that way and I don't see me raising mine that way.

That said I don't care if others do it. Its your home and your family and I give you props for being so selfless....:)
Helpful - 0
470885 tn?1326329037
No worries, Ivy :)  I wasn't meaning to quote anyone, I was just kind of blabbing away ;)
Helpful - 0
Thank you, AnnieBrooke, and everyone else who commented!  Yes, you are absolutely right, I have encountered a lot of negative comments, etc. from different people.  I feel so much better after reading all of your feedback.  What a great community!  I wish I had joined sooner. :-) Happy Holidays!
Helpful - 0
470885 tn?1326329037
Welcome POliver! :)  We look forward to hearing more from you :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.