my 2 year old wont sleep

i have two children, my daughter is nearly 5 and my son is 2 and a half, my daughter always slept through from 3 days old, so when my son decided he didnt want to sleep all the way through the night every night for the past two and a half years it came to a shock, i always give him a bottle of milk before he goes to bed and then take him upstairs to his bedroom and read him a bedtime story and give him a kiss and a cuddle and then say good night and i love you's and leave the room and close his stair gate, as soon as i walk out his bedroom door he starts to cry this only goes on for about ten minutes now but before it was worse, the main problem i have with him now is him sleeping all the way through the night as it is effecting him through the day now, i can deal with him during the day but when he wakes up screaming in the middle of the night it is making me think there is no way past this...... it is making me and my husband argue now and is putting alot of strain on us as when he wakes up he expects to come into our bedroom although some times he will settle in his own room with some hard work involved and as u can tell it is very stressful,
we have tried to ignore it but he just doesnt stop!!!
if anyone could give us any advice on what to do PLEASE help me, as i know there is a way forward its just getting there!!!
thank you
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I know its tough keep on doing what I suggested and if you can cut out going in at all as that is still sending him the message that if he yells you will give in, if you dont go in he will get it into his head you are not going to. It will take a little time nothing is immediate, He can only keep you Up' if you let him so sooner or later you are going to have to ignore him, best to put up with some sleepless nights. You are not alone imagine all the weary parents going through the same thing ....
Helpful - 0
thanks for your response,
my son has not had a afternoon sleep since he was 1 years old as i nipped that in the bud as soon as i could, and believe it or not as soon as i wrote in the forum last night he woke up and i done what you just said to do went in his bedroom and spoke to him in a gentle voice and then walked out of the bedroom and he went straight to sleep and didnt wake up untill 8 this morning!!!
some times this will work but when i dont wake up to his crying straight away it wont and sometime he will keep me up from about 4 till it is time to take my daughter to school and as u could imagine without a full nights sleep it really does take it out of me :(
when he is up from that time that is when he is naughty for the rest of the day and if he falls asleep in the day i have to wake him up otherwise i will have the same day after day!!
Helpful - 0
You have my sympathies, you are not alone we get a lot of the same kind of posts regarding children and sleeping.Does your boy take a nap during the day as sometimes at this age they dont need one or need less, the bottle beofre bed is also giving him a sweet and milky drink, if you want him to have a drink make it a small amount of water in a sippy cup. however if you dont want to battle over the bottle yet give him water in  the bottle.You are correct in letting him cry, when you take him to bed, the stories are good . I expect you go into the room in the middle of the night when he yells as all Moms do  if you know he is okay it would be best not to go in ,he may yell for a while and go off again, once you go in you have set up a precedent and he knows you will.,if you also let him  go your room you are enabling the behavior /he is getting mixed Messages. So dont have him into your room, if you have to go into his room in the night smooth his head murmur the words and gentle mutterings only Moms know how to utter, then leave the room , dont go back in, yes he will yell he is used to coming in with you, be consistant it will only take a few nights, Trust me and good Luck they do grow up then we miss this sort of thing .....
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community