Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

please help, and dont judge

My almost three year old little boy is an amazing little guy and has such a big heart already. He is the sweetest and nothing I enjoy more then feeling his arms wrapped around my neck and the kisses I steal. He is on the Autism Spectrum. His little sister is his best therapist. Her birthday party along with baby #3 babyshower is coming up this monthand then his birthday party is coming up in November and as im getting stuff for the parties now im trying to get my little boy some stuff as well and I absolutely cannot find him anything, because he doesnt engage in much of anything but they lovey he has had since day one! I am distraught and so depressed. What are some toys/items I can get for his birthday!?
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Try some puzzles or legos! My brother has Aspbergers and was not socially engaged but is extremely smart. Give him things to challenge his mind. He may not express that he enjoys it but I bet he would
Helpful - 0
Hes got sensory issues and doesnt like his hands to be touched. You dont think puzzles would be to hard!? Ive thought about legos. He LOVES outside too.
Helpful - 0
Go to www.brighttots.com this website has a lot of resources, information and guidance on children with autism. I even saw a link for autistic children and siblings which may have more info that may be helpful toward your situation.  I know u asked specifically about toys but this site may have ideas for toys and more u never thought to ask about. Good luck best wishes and I want to let u know that u must be a strong and wonderful mother to have been blessed with a child who needs extra love and patience. Hope your shower and birthday parties turn out great!
Helpful - 0
Oh thank you! I didnt know of that website!  Im gonna check into it. Thank you so much. It is extremely hard. I see him wanting to do something but his body wont let him. Ive cried more than a thousand tears for my little man.but I wouldn't trade him for anything.. he will always be a mommy's boy! :)
Helpful - 0
My nephew has aspergers and he was alot like that when he was younger. It's hard bc at that age they can't really express their emotional s and they get frustrated.  My nephew had a issue with people and loved having his own little space and bc he was the youngest of 5 So he used his.big closet as his area when he would get upset. So my only Suggestions something to give him.his own space like a cute little kid tent . We got.my nephew one and he.loved it. He went in it alllllll the time.  Just a use. Goodluck :-)
Helpful - 0
Just a thought..*
Helpful - 0
I don't have any ideas, just want to tell you that this was a heartwarming post. I don't know how anyone could judge you for it :) sounds like your are a wonderful mama!
Helpful - 0
@soontobemotherofthree my son is the same he likes to have his own little space I am wanting to make him a sensory room. But the thing about the tent is he doesnt know to get in it. He has progressed alot. Things he couldnt do he does now still things he cant do that were still trying to work on him with and thats why im having trouble finding things. He cant feed himself and he doesn't play ball and hoops but he is slowly making process.  @m_r_p thank you I said that bc we go out in public and get stares from strangers but they dont know half of what I go through with this prescious boy! And people out there judge jus by the color of your hair. Unfortunately!  
Helpful - 0
Does he like to paint or draw? One of my friends has a son who is autistic and he absolutely loves, loves to paint. I got him some art supplies for his birthday and he really enjoyed it. He spends hours painting stuff.
Helpful - 0
5691681 tn?1375735348
My son just turned 5 and he is also autistic/non-verbal. It's very hard to find presents for him too so I totally understand. Over the years we have bought our son a swing set, slide, a small trampoline,  a large trampoline, swimming pools, Tonka trucks, shovels and buckets, sprinklers, and pretty much any thing else you can think of for outside play. He absolutely loves being outside. He also loves being inside lol. He loves movies, string, ripping up plastic bags, tents, and singing toys. I'm not sure what your little one is interested in, but what I did was, I learned what my son loved and then made a toy or learning activity with it. My son loves string, like obsessed with it. So I bought some shoe laces, tied a knot on one end of the lace, then bought some alphabet blocks with holes and taught him how to thread/lace. He loves it so much. The little things are what they love the most. One thing that I live by is, "it's not about the milestones, it's about the moments." I hope that you find the perfect idea/gift for your precious little boy.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community

Top Parenting Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
6 essential foods for new moms (and their newborns!)
What to expect in your growing baby
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.