Avatar universal

2- 4 Weeks pregnant and scared of Ectopic Pregnancy


I am typing this on behalf of my wife. we found out on 17 December that she is pregnant and it is now 30 December. She has had light bleeding(varied from brown to dark red) from the 25th December. We did a blood test to see what the Hcg levels were - We then went to the Doctor and he did blood tests as well and an ultrasound, the Hcg Levels went down and he could not see anything from the ultrasound(No baby) and he said we must come in early the next morning. We did this and did another ultrasound and said he sees a little blood , no baby and sees a dark patch which he THINKS is an ectopic, but wanted to immediately send her to theater to do a laparoscopy and if he picks something up, he will need to cut out the Fallopian Tube and will need to do a D&C.

Naturally we were scared(Especially my wife) and on our way down to the reception to arrange everything(Forms to fill in, get authorisation from medical aid ect), my wife decided to do one last blood test.... when we came back to fetch the results and before we were to arrange to take my wife in, we fetched the results and the Hcg levels went up by 100....we went to the doctor and told him this and he was quite rude and said its not a baby and there is no chance for survival. The rise means nothing and we must still go ahead. I then told him that I dont want him to do a D&C if he finds out that she does not have an ectopic pregnancy, but he very rudely told us that he MUST and will NOT do a half job and if we want to get a second opinion, that we must find a new doctor. So we cancelled everything with him as well as the surgery he wanted to do. We tried getting hold of any other Gynae, but everyone is on holiday, so its freaking us out a little, as my wife sometimes gets very light cramps and then sometimes not at all - She has now recently spoken about her lower back hurting a little, but nothing serious(Just tender).

Now the Gynae we WANT to use, is only back on 3 January, meaning we need to go through the whole weekend worrying, but also dont want to go to the ER unnecessarily as this could still be a normal pregnancy and have read many stories that early pregnancies are not always seen.

PS: To add, the doctor said he could only confirm it was Ectopic once he did the laparoscopy...We feel this doctor just wants to take her into surgery and do a D&C without giving any chance....

Any thoughts ?
0 Responses
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Pregnancy: Dec 2012 Babies Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.