Really? Never heard of it. Guess I'll do some research.
She celebrated the birth and death of her baby girl all within two weeks. Now this determined mom is fighting to change the law. “It's nothing I would have ever wanted to happen to my family but at least something good is coming out of it,” explains Farah Armstrong. Thanks to Armstrong the Texas Senate is considering “Maddie's Bill”.
”It's an act named after my daughter Madeline Leigh Armstrong”. Baby Maddie died last year from Cytomegalovirus or Congenital CMV. Maddie was just 12 days old.
The proposed law would require the department of state health services to educate pregnant women and health care providers about the illness, warning of the dangers, the prevention and the treatment. ”If I would have known about this I would have known that I could catch congenital CMV from my toddler and I could have practiced hygiene precautions during my pregnancy,” Armstrong says.
CMV is common in kids and adults but in unborn babies? “It can affect the development on their brain. It had severe consequences on Maddie's liver and her spleen. It can cause hearing loss, vision loss, cerebral palsy,” explains Armstrong. She recently traveled to Austin with a group of moms to testify before state lawmakers.
”It was hard to get up there and tell my story. I even was fighting off tears in the beginning because I explained that just a year ago my daughter was born and I had just celebrated her birthday, then she's not here but by the grace of God I got through it. Every nine days a baby dies from Congenital CMV and every ten hours a baby is permanently disabled”. Deaths and disabilities that can be avoided by not sharing food or drinks with your toddler, which is where most expecting moms contract CMV. Armstrong also suggests these preventive measures. ”Wash your hands frequently after you come in contact with their saliva, urine or runny noses and also when you kiss them avoid contact with their saliva. Maybe kiss them on the top of the top of their head, just during your pregnancy,” says Armstrong.
Armstrong through her non-profit Maddie's Mission continues to warn of CMV. ”I don't want any other family to go through this. It's horrible because you're mourning the loss of your baby and then you're mourning the fact that any of it happened. For me, I had to mourn not only that I lost her but this terrible virus took her from me, something I could have prevented had I known about it. I know this bill won't save every baby but it will save a lot”.
Maddie's bill passed committee and is awaiting a full senate vote.
Made a quick research about this and ended up feeling paranoid. I am actually guilty about kissing my toddler's lips and sharing foods and drinks with her. Honestly as a mom it's just so hard to avoid it. It is also first time to encounter this type of disease. Now i wanna hear more experience or story from 2ndtime mommies who has toddlers and tell me that it is just me being so paranoid. Thank you for posting this and making us aware.
You're welcome. I personally never heard of this before I read this article. I had baby to baby before but this was early 2000's. when you're mom of course you'll come in contact with toddler fluids its hard to avoid. Maybe this is one of the new diseases out here we just need to be more careful and aware
I also wanna say thank you for sharing. My fiancee has a two year old and I kiss on her all the time, wipe runny noses, etc. I think I'm more shocked that Ive never heard about it before. Being a first time mom and all, this definitely scares me.
That is so wierd! I woudnt freak out to much about it though. Theres alot of pregnant moms who have toddlers and have healthy babies! And if its that serious why is it not heard of? Like why don't docs tell us about it? Hmm