Respiratory Disorders Community

Productive cough for 3 months..

Hello, I am a 26 year old female who has no major health issues. The first week in November I developed this horrible constant cough that hurts in my chest, produces yellow sputum, and turns into coughing fits. I wasn't sick before this developed. The cough persisted so I finally went to the doctor in mid-December. The doctor did not seem very concerned and did not do any tests. She said it was probably just from a post-nasal drip and sent me on my way with a prescription of Promethazine. I called the doctor a week later and she gave me an antibiotic, doxycycline. I finished the antibiotics and was still coughing like crazy. This medicine did not help but because of the holidays, I didn’t go back to the doctor until the second week in January. At that time I saw a different doctor who prescribed me a new antibiotic (amoxicillin), a steroid pack, and an inhaler. She didn’t have me get a chest x-ray at the time because the x-ray machine was broken and she said she was pretty sure it was either bronchitis or pneumonia. I went back after finishing those medicines because I still was not better and she had me get a chest x-ray. It came back normal. At that point she sent me to an ENT, thinking it must be coming from my sinuses.  I went to the ENT last week and he said that my sinuses are clear. He put me on a medication for acid reflux to see if that would help the cough. I am frustrated and don’t know what to do at this point. I have also tried allergy medications to rule that out. It has now been three months since the cough started and I am still coughing up yellow sputum. I cough constantly and still feel pain in my chest and occasionally when I take a deep breath. Throughout this whole time I have had a little bit of a stuffy nose, but not much, however I am constantly tired and feel run down no matter how much sleep I get. There are always huge bags under my eyes and I’m having trouble concentrating. I didn’t have any of these symptoms before the cough started in November. I called the doctor back and told them I didn’t think it was acid reflux since I’m coughing up yellow sputum still, but they insist that there are no other tests that should be done. I’m a week into the acid reflux medication and nothing has changed. I also have allergies to cephalosporins, quinolones, and Biaxin. Help!
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.