Low muscle tone

anybody ever have a child with low muscle tone who is developing motor skills slower than normal?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
thanks; we have him signed up for physical therapy through the state and hope he will catch up soon. His fine motor skills are good; just gross motor skills are a few months behind
Helpful - 0
My son didn't roll until six month and son didn't crawl until nearly 12 months.  At his 9 mo. well-check his ped referred him to our local rehab clinic.  They evaluated him and found him to be advanced in fine motor, but behind in gross motor.  He began receiving in-home physical therapy one time per week, with daily stretches and exercises for us to do with him on our own.  I'm happy to say that now at 15 months he is doing very well...WALKING all over the place.  :)
Helpful - 0
Guinness,  as I understand it,  low muscle tone creates slower development of gross motor skills.  These two are absolutely hand in hand - if your child were developing gross motor skills ahead or on track,  you could discount the diagnosis of low muscle tone.  

Is your child in Occupational Therapy?  That will help him greatly.  
Helpful - 0
what do you do to help him?
Helpful - 0
I ahve a daycare child who has very low muscle tine and he is behind..   I work with him everyday and seems to be getting better..  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum 35+ Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.