Child with visible patchy hair loss

Can anyone advise me? I have noticed  this week that my 9yr old son has quite definite patches of hairloss, some are smaller than others, there are seven or eight areas, some quite linear. He is otherwise fit and well and he himself has not noticed. My instinct is to whip him straight o the doc. What should I expect? My biggest fear is that this may progress and become quite disfiguring...it has progressed quite a bit in a few days. At first I thought I was imagining it but at bed time last night I looked hard and it's very real. Some parts of his head still have very normal thick hair coverage and other parts I'm looking at bare scalp. Any help would be appreciated. How do you know whether it's alopecia areatis or the onset of totalis? Thanks
Hello, I had alopecia when I was 10 yrs old and it lasted until I was about 13 then I developed a nervous condition called trichotalomania (spelling may be wrong) but it is basically when you pull your hair out.  As far as the alopecia goes, you should take him to a doctor.  they gave me hair cream.  I dont necessarily think it works but its worth a try.  I belive that i just happened to grow out of it becuase I dont have a problem with it anymore.  But it did affect my self esteem when I was younger.  I use to wear scarfs on my head and things of that nature which happened to raise alot of questions for the other kids. It happened all of a sudden with me.  I was with my father at the mall, my mother had just done my hair.  I had long pretty hair too.  My father and I were sitting in the mall cafe eating and he asked did I shave my hair and I was said no then I went to look in the mirror and a small portion of my hair was missing.  From then on it kept on spreading.  but I think the best thing to do is to take him to the doctor.
I was diagnosed with alopecia areata at 7yrs old, it started out as a small patch and then spread to be many patches. The description you gave sounds like it could be areata, I would definitly consult his pediatrician and then start your son on medications which may help to slow the hair loss.

Best of Luck,
~S.A.

You are reading content posted in the Alopecia Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions