Asthma Community
2.26k Members
Avatar universal

Do I need an inhaler NEED HELP!!

I have allergies to animals with fur and when I come into contact with them, after a while I begin to wheeze. This wheezing will still remain up to a day after I have been away from the animal that caused the wheezing. What I want to know is whether I need an inhaler for this and whether this could be classed as asthma as I do tend to have a shortness of breath at the same time as the wheezing. Keeping away from the animal isn't an option as the dog is at my dads house which I visit every weekend. It's stupid for me to go to a house with a furry animal in I know, but this is the only way I can still see him!
1 Responses
746512 tn?1388807580

Try and get your dad to maintain the house very clean, bathe and brush the dog the day before you get there and continue brushing him daily at least well you are there.  The room you sleep in should be off limits for the dog ALL the time (even when you aren't there!).  Allergy meds started the day before you go there and continued all weekend should help as well.  If this doesn't improve the symptoms 100% then yes a doctors visit and possible medication is needed.

Hope that helps.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.