Chiari Malformation Community

chiari malformation

hi all im new to this page have being told i have chiari malformation after mri was done the doc that gave me the results doesnt know much about it so sending me to a specialist he just told me there is  fluid on my spinal cord connecting to the brainstems i dont what else he said because i could not understand half of what he was saying also he said he was writing an urgent letter off to neurosurgen can ant one tell me what the fluid means
COMMUNITY LEADER

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

I am not sure what was meant, bcuz there is fluid that flows down along the spinal cord...but it can fill a pocket and form a cyst like cavity of fluid that can compress the spinal cord and the nerves.....this condition is known as Syringomyelia and the cyst is referred to a syrinx.

Being sent to a specialist means a neurosurgeon (NS) BUT there is a difference btwn a NS and a true Chiari specialist....the Dr needs to be well informed and experienced not only with Chiari but ALL related conditions and Syringomyelia is just one related condition/issue.