Children - Special Needs Community
738 Members

my son might have dyslexia

hi
i recently took my son to have an eye test and they think he may have dyslexia to be honest that never even came to my head he does read quite well he does have a few problems but hes six its more his writing and spelling thats worse really and his hearing which i was taking him to doctors for but they said couild be linked. he had problems seperating his colours too i was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice as people said its reading thats most of the problem but he reads well he gets was mixec up and says saw and does some other things like that and recently he has been saying things and i'll say it back and he said he never said that.i have reied to read up on it but theres not that much information to go on so any info would be great thanks
Hi Danie_23,

I was wondering, if the doctors think he may be Dyslexic, if you have asked them about Early Intervention therapies.  All children who have any type of delays, whether from genetic issues, birth issues or developmental issues are entitled to the services provided by Early Intervention.  Some suggestions I have for you regarding Dyslexia (as my eldest step daughter has both Dyslexia and also Developmental delays) is that repetition with school skills are always helpful.  Before she was assisted with learning strategies, she absolutely hated reading because the Dyslexia caused her so much frustration.  (She is going to be 12 in November and has just started reading this past year.)  Because she is such a social butterfly, and is quite sharp in everyday activities, many of her teachers believed she was lazy and that she just didn't enjoy school, which was the furthest thing from the truth.  Now that she has the assistance from her educators, (and had been placed in a stronger educational setting to meet her needs) she is finally excelling.  The biggest factor that I think that helps her, is our positivity and finding other "fun" ways to keep her attention.  She is also diagnosed ADHD.  So keeping her attention can be tricky at times.  She doesn't live with us but we see her on the weekends, and I wish there was more I could do on a daily basis to assist her since it has become one of my strengths (working with children with special needs).  When shes with us, we use many teaching aids in regular play to assist us.  We use educational games, music and reading.  I find that having her write often helps.  She does tend to mix up her words and numbers when writing, and typically it affects her sentence structure, but we work together to ensure that it never gets ignored.  Your son's Dyslexia may be mild, but it's hard to say not knowing how old he is.  Have any of his teachers (is he in school yet) commented on this?  It would be interesting to note what they have to say regarding this, since I think it would definitely be something that wouldn't go unnoticed if he were dealing with a severe form of Dyslexia.  And if he is school aged, I would definitely ask his teachers what sort of things you can do at home to help.
Before you go searching like crazy all over the Internet, I would suggest researching by book or physician first.  Since there is a lot of information available over the Internet, and much of it tends to be opinion rather then fact, I would stick to proper research in library's or bookstores before you make yourself crazy.  Especially if you are not familiar with the disorder, and better to have the proper information first before you absorb opinion and things like that.  Doctors can usually suggest the best books, for you to look over first.  

I hope that this will help you or at least point you in the right direction.  Once you read about the proper information out there and understand all about Dyslexia, many of those same books will provide you suggestions and ideas on how to help your child.

If you need any further information, anything at all, please do not hesitate to send me a message directly.  If you are unable to find any books, I can provide you with some other information which may be helpful for you and your son.

In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.
Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Children - Special Needs Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
Hi Danie_23,

I just wanted to apologise, I read over your initial post, and I am sorry I missed you indicating that your son was six.  Obviously he is in school, and probably standard 1, (do that call it that still?  Or do they use Grade 1?  My mom went to school in the British system in the 40's and I remember her telling me they were called Standards and Forms.)  So, if his reading is appropriate for age six, and I recall you saying he reads quite well, but his writing and spelling are the concern.  Since Dyslexia affects each child differently, it is "normal" that it may only affect one aspect and not the other.  For my step daughter, (now that she's reading) the same affects her, in that her writing and spelling skills are really affected by the Dyslexia, and her reading is less affected.
I would definitely seek out his teacher, and see if she/he has any concerns regarding difficulties in these areas.  However minute.  And from that, along with the eye doctor's diagnosis, speak to your son's paediatrician and certainly see what they recommend.  Usually they will set up a referral to get your son properly assessed to see how much he is affected, and if there are specific diagnosis to be made - if even other than the Dyslexia.

Again, I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
My son was dx with Dyslexia and ADHD at a young age.  He had a very hard time in school.  Several years later he was a straight A student, but we found out he had hashimoto's disease and it can come and go. Hyper/Hypo and this can cause a learning problems.  Never hurts to check the thyroid and antibodies.
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments