Weird Virus Lasting for Weeks?

I have been dealing with the most annoying virus for the last 3-4 weeks. It started off with swollen lymph nodes in my neck (those have since gone away,) head congestion, VERY thick mucus, constant post nasal drip in my throat (which makes it feel as if I have something stuck in my throat due to the irritation,) an occasional dry cough and frequent sinus pressure/headaches. I still have everything except the swollen glands. My brother had it last month (literally for the entire month) and my husband has had it for about the same amount of time as me. It is the most frustrating thing I have ever had. It seems to be slowly improving, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has had anything like this recently? It feels like it's never ending. (It also doesn't help that I'm an anxious person by nature so I've been fixating on every little symptom and probably making it worse for myself.)
I went to the doctor last week but he didn't seem too concerned. He said they've seen a lot of it recently and it's viral and just has to run its course which can take several weeks.
I have not had any sore throat with it, just irritation from the postnasal drip.
Unfortunately, it's that time of year when there are all kinds of crappy things going around.

Most things aren't serious, and your doctor, husband and brother have all confirmed that. Your brother is better, and your husband has had it as long as you, and is hanging in there, right? You're improving, even though it's slow?

Sometimes it's more annoying to have a virus, because a bacterial infection can be easily cured with antibiotics whereas a virus just has to run it's course.

I haven't had it, but I live in the south, which until the past couple of days, has been pretty warm. Lots of people here are sick though.

Are you resting when you can? Not smoking? Drinking lots of fluids? Washing your hands a lot so you don't pick up anything else?

Hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon!

Lymph nodes are a good thing.  :>) They scare people but they mean your body's immune system is working.  You obviously have things you are fighting off.  And you could have back to back viruses as it is that time of year as mentioned.  Coughs in particular also can take a long time to fully go away because if our airways get irritated, that lingers a bit which then causes us to cough.  Coughs can last 2 months after we've been ill simply due to this irritated airway issue. Anyway, it's been a couple of weeks.  How are you now?   Better?

You are reading content posted in the Cold and Flu Community