How long does it take to get a dementia/alzheimers diognosis?

A Mum of a freind of mine has been having some memory problems for just over a year now. She has had several GP appointments, memory tests and two neurology appointments. (She had scans previously due to an unrelated fall, which they have used)
It has been an 11 month process so far. They have just had another appointment with a neurologist who has said they now need to do an MRI. All doctors have said they think it is a form of dementia or alzheimers but still no solid diognosis!
Is this a normal amount of time for it to take someone to be diagnosed?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
So, how are things going?  Has your mu been diagnosed yet?  Give me an update?
Helpful - 0
Hi, it's my freinds mum. Still no formal diognosis. She's had other health complications since and another doctor, who is unrelated to this, has also sent a letter trying to prompt a diognosis!
That's frustrating!  Dementia can happen due to a variety of things, not just alzheimers though. Vascular and heart issues are well known culprits.  Brain injury. COPD or anything in which the brain is not as oxygenated.  Here's a whole long list of what can cause dementia.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dementia/symptoms-causes/syc-20352013   I have read thought that doctors ARE hesitant to diagnose alzheimers disease until they have observed the dementia over a period of time.  6 to 12 months, unfortunately. https://www.helpguide.org/harvard/recognizing-and-diagnosing-alzheimers.htm  They repeat the evaluations to be sure.  

You are reading content posted in the Dementia Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?