Avatar universal

Irritated skin under eyes

I have very very dry and red skin under my eyes. I am not able to use any eye cream or it burns very badly. when i put on eye conceler it creates a very bad crease and i am only22. I am on solodyn and thought maybe that could be causing this. I am currently using cortizone and aquafor as that is the only thing that does not irritate me. What do i do?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal

Using cortizone under your eyes will thin the skin and make it even more delicate.  I had this same problem. I used cortizone to control it (which it did initially) then used a number of creams and gels to keep the area hydrated.  I am convinced that this did some long term damage to my eye area and still have problems with them now.  

I came to the conclusion it was the eye make up i was using that initally caused the skin to get irritated. There are harsh chemicals in them that can cause allergic reactions.  It could be that the concealor you are using is making it worse, I would stop using it completely and see if the condition improves.  Also if possible dont use anything on your eyes for a week and see if it clears up.  I have sensitive skin and recently switched to 'mineral make up' which definitely improved the condition of my skin and doesnt contain any of the harsh ingredients that traditional make up does. Try and avoid getting water on the skin under the eyes (difficult i know, esp when in the shower)  
I feel for you, I am constantly battling with my under eye skin.  

Let me know how you get on.  

Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
OmG! i dont know to tecnical terms but i have to same thing and im only 13 and guess what i get made fun of every day i need something that will help in a few hours! It occured suddenly and iv been using the same make up for years soo my question is why all of a sudden did this happen it cant be my make up???
Helpful - 0
563773 tn?1374246539
It can be due to seborrheic dermatitis or eczema. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that causes flaky, dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp under the nose or anywhere on face. You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium.

If the symptoms persist, then it would be best to get it confirmed from a dermatologist

I hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Hi doc; I'm a little confused how shampoo in the hair can affect the condition of the skin under the eyes, unless maybe I'm allergic to the shampoo.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Community

Top Dermatology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions