The way you posed your question indicates you understand your options. Ultimately only you can make the call.
I am plano in both eyes with IOLs, and I disagree with some of your conclusions. If you go D/D, you will probably need to wear prescription progressive glasses (or bifocal contacts) most of the time, unless you are comfortable having everything within arm's length fairly blurry. You will need correction for tasks such as cooking, grooming, shopping, using the computer, reading just about anything without squinting, and finding your glasses. You can probably forget about the drug store readers, unless you want to have more than one pair (one for near; one for intermediate), which you are continuously putting on and taking off.
On the other hand, with D/I you'd probably be able to function pretty well in most situations without correction. You could get by with drugstore readers (the eye with the clearer vision would carry the burden), although prescription readers (or progressives) would be better.
I have a history of strabismus/double vision related to monovision contact lens wear, and I was warned not to attempt monovision again by the surgeon who corrected my eye alignment. This is why I chose D/D. However, I think that D/I is by far the more desirable correction for most people. If, as you say, only 10% of the patients do blended vision, it's probably because most of the remaining 90% were unaware that they had a choice.
I don't think that most people experience any difficulty adjusting to blended vision. Off the shelf sunglasses would work just fine for distance vision with either correction.
Thank you for your feedback. I had been leaning toward the I/D approach, but wanted an outside perspective.
i had cataract surgery on both eyes one month apart with the second eye now being six weeks ago......i was fitted for D/D on both eyes.....because of the '**** shoot' nature of the power estimation of the lenses i seem to have landed where i am able to see distance with my dominant left eye and intermediate with the other (up to and including a computer monitor), but am unable to read w/ ease and so i use drug store reading glasses.....
i have slight double vision which i am now trying to resolve....hope tthis helps.
I had a distance aspheric IOL implanted in my left, NON dominant eye in June. My right eye is nearsighted, so I have de facto crossed monovision. I find that I can get by without glasses for everything, but I have been spoiled by the convenience of progressive glasses which give me great vision at all distances. My priority has always been the best vision, not being able to see pretty well without glasses.
Whenever I have surgery on my dominant right eye, I have to decide whether to go with another distance IOL or to replicate my present vision with a near vision implant....
I went with I/D correction. I can watch TV, use a computer, and drive without glasses. I only need glasses for reading. The I/D solution has worked well with me.
Thanks all. I am scheduled to have my left eye done on Thursday. I will be getting the blended or offset or intermediate (I/D) correction. Let the fun begin!