GERD (Acid Reflux) Community

What should I do if I have LPR that does not subside with PPI?

Dear all,
I would like to introduce myself as well as give you an overview of my current GERD condition.
I'm only 14 years young, I was diagnosed with GERD on the 10th of September this year, I was prescribed with Prilosec. At first I was taking 1 cap in the morning and afternoon, it wasn't working even though I took it 1 hr prior to meals. So my doc increased to 4 caps and it wasn't helping either. But now, my symtoms are improving adequately with just 2 caps in the morning. I was also reffered by my GP to see a paediatric gastroenterologist. They told me I didn't have any "red flags" that prompt further investigations needing scopes etc. So they told me that I should continue to take PPI even though I have a lot of LPR symptoms as well as some of te occasional GERD symptoms. I suggested the gastro doc, to prescribe a set of medications to effectively control GERD. But they told me, Prilosec is still recommended in terms of effectiveness and economics. I am thinking if I should see a private gastro doc? What do you guys think?

Hi and welcome to the GERD forum.

May I ask, since you did not mention have you modified your diet and lifestyle? Certain foods, bevs and even stress can trigger these symptoms to flare and just taking meds alone will not help, you need to avoid those items that cause your symptoms to flare. Keep a journal to locate all your triggers. Please note during a flare water can appear to be a trigger....

Next talk to your Dr some more and see if a H2 blocker will be just as economical as a PPI like Prilosec.....some of us PPI's just do not work for....so do look into that as a possibility.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem