Aa
A
A
A
Close
HIV Prevention Community
52.6k Members

Allergic reactions and testing

Hi guys, i am male and around july 10 I had unrpotected oral and protected vaginal with a girl who turned out to be hiv+. I shouldn't be worried but starting this week I got a very sore throat (which made me think of ars and that maybe the condom failed without me noticing or something), so I went to the doctor (I didn't share with her my worries about hiv) and she sent me an antibiotic and several medications for acid reflux. She said my throat was ver inflamed. Anyway, I am almost totally cured today but I started having itching around my body , probably an allergic reaction from some of the medications. My worry is that I am going for a duo at july 31 and i am afraid that the allergic reaction might cause a false positive.

Do you guys know what causes false positives and if allergic rections are among those thigs?
3 Responses
Allergies in general don't cause false positives. However, sometimes they do just happen.
Thanks James.

I really think my situation does not warrant testing but given the real symptoms and their severity I believe the best is to just disipate every doubt and go test.

So I shouldn't expect a higher risk of a false positive given the allergy, just the normal risk right?
No your situation does not warrant testing. However, if it helps you clear your anxiety, go right ahead.
Have an Answer?
Top HIV Answerers
366749 tn?1544698865
Karachi, Pakistan
370181 tn?1428180348
Arlington, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
These tips can help HIV-positive women live a long, healthy life.
Despite the drop in new infections, black women are still at a high risk for HIV, the virus that causes Aids.
What are your HIV treatment options, and how do you choose the right one? Our panel of experts weighs in.
Learn the truth behind 14 common misconceptions about HIV.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.