HIV DNA test? How accurate is it?

I am a male who has severe ocd so its more of a reassurance thing than anything. I had oral sex with a girl who says shes doesn't have anything but you never know. I was curious how accurate the HIV DNA test is at 21 days after exposure? I know my exposure would be very low but I just want the psychological reassurance more than anything. I am signed up for a test but want to make sure it is accurate. Are there chances of there being a false positive result on this test? I have heard that can happen and worries me severely. Any help would be most appreciative.
You dont need testing. Oral sex does not transmit hiv. I realize you said you need this for the psychological reasurrance but rna by pcr or dna by pcr are not approved diagnostic tests and have produced false positives do to their sensitivity. Which in your case with the ocd it would probably push you over the edge. If you insist on testing a single antibody test three months post exposure is when tou can obtain a conclusive result
The DNA by PCR is a viral load test--the RNA by PCR is an accurate test at around 2 to 4 weeks after exposure.
Wrong...

PCR-DNA Tests
Neither the Abbott RealTime nor the Roche COBAS AmpliPrep/COBAS TaqMan HIV-1 assay is intended to be used as a donor screening test for HIV-1 or as a diagnostic test to confirm the presence of HIV-1 infection.
Richard Klein
HIV/AIDS Program Director
Office of Special Health Issues
Food and Drug Administration

PCR-RNA tests are supplemental tests that have to be used in conjunction with an antibody test. They are not stand-alone tests.

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community