What is risk for hiv for wound to blood exposed non sharp object contact?

Hi everyone,

I poked myself with a sterile (clean unused) needle. However forgot to change my gloves after changing the suture needle to stitch up someone. After I was done I noticed a very tiny red pin prick size red spot on my thumb without bleeding from the place I poked myself with the clean needle. I wanted to ask what are the chances of patients blood going through the hole I created in my glove and infecting me with hiv? I used that same thumb to load that needle after each stitch. HIV status of that person is unknown.
Sounds like you are or would like to be a medical worker.  Hopefully they educated you on a couple of things which includes changing your gloves often and how HIV is transmitted.  HIV is transmitted through unprotected vaginal or anal penetrating sex or sharing of IV drug needles.  There are occupational health risks but simply touching HIV blood is not a risk.  Touching it with a pin pricked finger is not a risk.  And a pin pricked finger through a glove.  The virus is inactivated in air.  Speak to your supervisor.  There are no charts on people?  You could not read anything about the patient?  Anyway, this isn't a risk.  Touching blood is not a risk.  You say 'without bleeding' from the place you pricked yourself.  Focus on that.  no risk.

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community