Ham, Spinach & Gruyere bread pudding - Low Cal Dinner

This is a great recipe!  It doesn't sound or taste low calorie, but it's about 275 calories per serving and low in saturated fat, etc.  I found it online and loved it - my hubby, too!

I will post more recipes and meal ideas over time.  Most of my cooking is done sort of instinctively, so I have to figure out amounts and such.  So I can give instructions that make sense.  But for now, here's this one and it's great.  Just serve it with a green salad, dressed with a vinaigrette (made with balsamic vinegar, a great olive oil and dijon mustard.  Do it to taste, but if you go heavy on the vinegar and mustard it will be lower in calories.  I do about half and half with the oil and vinegar and I use enough mustard to make it kind of creamy).

Ham, Spinach and Gruyere (cheese) bread pudding:

Ingredients

4 large egg whites
4 large eggs
1 cup skim milk (I use 2%, but the recipe calls for skim, so 2% will add slightly to the calorie count)
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 Teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
4 cups whole grain bread, crust removed if you desire and cut into 1 inch cubes
5 cups chopped spinach, wilted*
1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red bell peppers (or you can use 1/2 cup fresh red peppers, chopped and sauteed)
1 cup diced ham - use a good quality smoked ham, thick cut or a ham steak
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (any swiss cheese will do in a pinch.  I use a part-skim Gruyere)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 11-by-7-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.

2. To prepare custard: Whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add mustard, pepper and rosemary: whisk to combine.

3. Toss bread, spinach, roasted red peppers and ham in a large bowl. Add the custard and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.

4. Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

*  To wilt spinach"

Wash the spinach, trim the thick stems and any brown edges away and place the wet spinach in a pan.  You don't need extra water if the spinach is wet, but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't stick.  Put in on Med-High heat and shake it a bit, until wilted but not cooked through.  

In an emergency you could use frozen spinach.  It won't be as good because it is already cooked, and I think it only comes chopped, not whole leaf, but it will be ok.  Don't use creamed spinach!  Make sure you get all the moisture out - you'll have to squeeze it.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
  I have decided to make this recipe this weekend as it sounds really yummy thanks a lot I get stuck for interesting food and often make the easiest thing, the input helps me.and fires me up, my husbands stomach thanks you in advance.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Healthy Cooking Community