The dragon is BACK...no words

I'm sad to say we got our results back from our 4 week checkup after EOT..its back so another relapse. My heart is literally broken and I feel hopeless. There are no other treatment options for geno 2 so what do we do now?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I meant 3 month check up after EOT
Helpful - 0
I am so sorry to hear this. But hang in there....there are so many drugs in the pipeline that will make geno 2 just as curable as geno 1. Which treatment were you on?
Helpful - 0
Sovaldi/riba 12 weeks
Helpful - 0
II also relasped on same tx last year I'm also g2. I feel your pain. our only option now is 24 weeks of same tx. I am currently on week 6 I'll finish up in August. I'll post something if it works. There are other drugs in the works but nothing anytime soon. This is my third time treating. Peace
Helpful - 0
This was our 2nd time treating, first with this tx. Just really ***** seeing as geno 2 is suppose to be the easiest to cure. I'm not sure what his dr will do we don't go back until end of April. I know there's many new things their working on but my husband is stage 4 cirrhosis so I don't know if we can wait that long before it completely damages his liver to where it can't function at all.
Helpful - 0
Sorry to hear this for both of you!  I hate these posts to say the least.  Hang in there and take a break for a while.  I know the news is devastating.  Been there, done that, hated it.

jules
Helpful - 0
Hey, Have been watching my thread about Merck MK-5172/MK-8742 clinical trial? I got a letter from the director of the trial saying these new Merck drugs are "pan genotypic"--- so don't lose hope. These drugs have completed trials, and they are ready to publish/be released by 2016. Overall SVR rates, regardless of GT or level of cirrhosis, or previous tx, is > 90+%. I failed Pegasys tx miserably    ( PEG INF/RBV), but in 7 days I dropped from 585,000+ IU/ml viral load to 396 IU/ml. I was ND at week 3, been so ever since. 12 weeks post cessation of tx I was still ND, relapse rate at that point is quoted as 1%. Hang in there, help is on the way, if not from Merck, than from other Big Pharma outfits. You just have to hit on the right meds for you, and all will be well. Don't let it drag you down, and keep in mind I am very pessimistic by nature. In another year, you will be well on your way to SVR, I'm sure.   mac
Helpful - 0
I am very sorry that your husband relapsed. I know it is very devastating for both of you. I am hoping that his doctor will have some ideas about treating him so that he can attain SVR.

Thinking of you and wishing you the best.
Helpful - 0
What to do after relapsing, is eat a good diet, exercise and enjoy life while keeping your eyes open to newer means of treatment coming down the line.

Good luck.
OH
Helpful - 0
Sorry guys. I am scared too death until I get to week 24. I got another month to go. Keep your heads up. New stuff coming out every month. SVR a is in your future. Just keep plugging along.
Helpful - 0
I was cirrhotic as well. I was diagnosed in 1991 with cirrhosis and failed all the treatments I tried. I didn't clear until 2012  with Viekira Pak.  I am still here alive and kicking. Your hubby will likely be just fine until the newer meds are available.
Helpful - 0
Thank you everyone for the words of wisdom and the information shared. He had a blood transfusion in 1986 which is before they started screening for hep c so the dr is sure he's had it ever since then in order for his liver to be as bad as it is at such a young age. I haven't read about the Merik treatment but it sounds promising. I've read online where it says Sovaldi should be taken 16 weeks if the patient is cirrhotic, we were only on it for 12 weeks.
Helpful - 0
Oh no!

I am so sorry to hear this. I am one of the been there, done that, and yes, it ***** (I've taken to censoring myself to save MH some time)

Deep breaths. Then back to the drawing board. I know that is so hard to even think about that right now but what others have said is true. Newer and better regimens are just down the road and Riba will be go the way of Interferon. The SVR rates will continue to climb and it will be just one pill a day and nearly everyone will achieve SVR

I just started the same treatment today - Sovaldi/Riba for 12 weeks and I am cirrhotic . I hope it's not one of those After the fact things where they say:

Yeah, we should have treated longer

That happened to a few of us on S/O who likely would have been cured if our treatment had been extended to 24 weeks.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Hang in there!
Helpful - 0
I read 16 weeks also.

http://www.lifebeyondhepatitisc.com/medical-information/length-of-treatment/
Helpful - 0
P:  Don't give up hope!  I treated with Sol/Riba also.  MyGt3 is the hardest to treat and that combo was the best available at the time (at this time, too).  

Since I was F3, one step up from cirrhosis, my Dr strongly recommended doing it anyway as Dac wasn't (and still isn't) available except for trials.

This is the important part:  The reason he gave for so strongly recommending it, is that while on the S/R, and reaching UND our livers are getting a rest from the virus, a chance to NOT get worse.

So please, both of you, don't dispair!  A three month rest for the liver is excellent.  With that, and as OH said, a good diet, moderate exercise, and keeping hydrated, it can make it a difference in helping Hubby be able to do well enough to wait for the better tx. -- or be strong enough to go through the same tx for 24 weeks, if need be.

Hang in there, both of you, one step at a time.  

Blessings!

Pat

P.S. Please keep us informed and try hard to stand upbeat!  It truly helps!
Helpful - 0
Good point Pat!

Yes, a  vacation for your liver from the virus is a very good thing
Helpful - 0
Oh, it's a terrible feeling to learn treatment failed us.  Allow yourself time to grieve, get your bearings and recover.  Remember to breathe.

In 2012,Victrelis, Ribaviin and interferon failed me at 24 weeks.  There was nothing set for immediate release by FDA.  Since then, I completed (and relapsed) Sovaldi, Ribavirin and Interferon and am now on 24 weeks of Harvoni and Ribavirin.  New treatments will be coming your way too.

Your husband is so fortunate to have you right there fighting with him.  My husband has been a rock through my diagnosis, treatments, tests. God bless you, my husband and everyone else who stands by us during it all!  Stay strong and keep the faith.  We are here for you!
Helpful - 0
I'm so very sorry Promise and understand how devastated you both must feel.   Please don't despair as your husband will succeed the next time.

Know there are no words to make you both feel better.  Please know tho that a few years ago we had no Tx.  Within the year a better protocol will be set in place.

I "Promise" you the next Tx will be the one.  Please know we will all be here for friendship, guidance, and support.
...... Kim
Helpful - 0
Ouch :-(

So very sorry to hear this just to share I was diagnosed with cirrhosis in Jan 2008 and still hanging in there he still has time there are other options and newer hops on the horizon

Hugs to you both
Lynn
Helpful - 0
It's my understanding from a while back that S/O with Riba for 24 weeks is best for GT2's. It's a triple combo a friend cleared on and is cured from. But their level of cirrhosis wasn't as bad so they could take that combo.
Did he take Olysio? So sorry he is running out of time. I hope you find a cure soon. When I was that sick I slept on an "Earthing mat" next to my liver and it helped buy me some time. It's a grounding product. Earthing *******. It's effects were subtle but profound.
Hang in there. Never give up. A sudden miracle might happen where they come out with a one-time shot that stops the replication for all GT's. They are working on it.
Helpful - 0
Promise I am so very very sorry to hear.  I know the feeling.  I relapsed back in 2009, I was devastated.  I had to wait two years for Incivek to be approved.  That was a nightmare of a tx.
I was told my a Dr Dietrich on here to rest, heal body, mind and soul and try again in a year.
Others on here told me to get my ducks in row, drink lots of water to help the liver, eat very healthy for the liver and try again.  I was told to stay away from fried foods, red meat, fatty foods, fast foods.  Try to eat whole foods. Drink water. Everything you eat drink, put on your body in your eyes has to be processed by the liver.
I also was dx with cirrhosis in 2008.  Of course there are different levels orf cirrhosis so everyone is different in the length of time we have to tx again.  I am praying for you and hubby.
Please also take care of yourself.  This virus is so f____g hard, too hard.
My best to you!

Censoring ourselves, that is funny!
Helpful - 0
Sorry to hear that. Have you asked about retreatment for 24 weeks if insurance won't approve, maybe doctor and you could ask Gilead.

If this phase 3 trial is successful, maybe it will be available next year.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02220998

Comparison of Sofosbuvir/GS-5816 Fixed Dose Combination for 12 Weeks With Sofosbuvir and Ribavirin for 12 Weeks in Adults With Chronic Genotype 2 HCV Infection (ASTRAL-2)

Anyone, GT2 with cirrhosis, who is offered SOV/RBV 12 week,  should push hard for 16 weeks.
Helpful - 0
So sorry to hear.  There WILL be a tx soon which WILL work.  Hugs to you both.
Helpful - 0
Hey, I did not mean to sound glib in my response. I have no idea what your financial burden has been during this process. When you find a new tx that will work on your loved one's GT, please contact and utilize the experience of all of the good hearted folks here who have been through the financial ropes, and know all the tricks. I was extremely fortunate in finding that clinical trial, I realize many are not as lucky. It is my heartfelt wish this disease is not simultaneously draining you spiritually as well as financially. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions regarding those Merck meds I used. Best Of Luck, mac790
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community