I have been sitting here looking at your question and wondering what to say.
Here is what I've concluded.
You're in your last week of a long treatment. Basically you're finished and my opinion is that trying to calculate your odds of success is not necessary or even helpful. If you were trying to calculate your chances of SVR in order to make a decision about whether to treat then this type of discussion would probably be appropriate. But, you've decided and completed treatment and now all you can do is wait.
I think you have a good shot at SVR but the odds do go down if a patient is not detectable by week 12. I assume you knew that.
I did extend and I did achieve SVR. I treated for 1 year and then another year without SVR. My doses weren't optimal and that is why I think I was unsuccessful. I treated again with the proper doses and extended to 73 weeks. I was undetectable at week 11 so I was EVR and that increased my odds significantly. I was transplanted in 2000 and that is why my doses were not optimal. So my case is significantly different from yours.
I wish you the very best of luck.
I was und somewhere after 12 and before week 24, doctor would not test further so I dont know when. I tx'd 72 in 2005 and have been SVR ever since. Skinny myself I took PegIntron and OD'd myself on riba taking probably 1200 - 1600 a day (was supposed to take 800, got doc to approve 1000 and then just ate them like candy and gave myself wonderful case of anemia like a fool).
Of course, they are no guarantees and as Mike said, trying to figure out your odds of success now is a moot point. You finish this week and just hope for the best. That is all any of us could do.
Of course, we hope to add you to the 72 weeker SVR club in six months! :)
Thank you for answering me.You are right.It is to late to chance something,but you know,the anxiety is higher now,like it was 2 weeks before I started.After that I did not have time to "think".
All the best,
I have read almost all your comments,and I can say that all the time you were my exemple.Because of you I took more Riba,hopping to get SVR like you.
LOL I took too much riba because I was crazy and thought since I had 1A and 1B I needed more...it did work eventually even though it almost killed me and who knows had I not added the extra I might not have made it. so maybe it was worth it.
I surely hope we get great news from you soon. Once you get your 4 week test PLEASE post - that one will let you know where you stand because ifyou are UND at 4 weeks post then the odds go up to in the 90s that you will make it the rest of the way. :D
This last week I take 1200 mg Riba every day ,and I hope I will post UND after 4 weeks and after 6 months(.All 71 weeks I took vit.D too :3,200 IU)
Gastroenterology. 2011 Nov;141(5):1656-64. Epub 2011 Jul 22.
Improved responses to pegylated interferon alfa-2b and ribavirin by individualizing treatment for 24-72 weeks.
Guidelines recommend that patients with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection be treated with pegylated interferon and ribavirin for 24, 48, or 72 weeks, based on their virologic response to treatment. We investigated the effects of treating patients for individualized durations.
We treated 398 treatment-naïve patients who had HCV genotype 1 infections with pegylated interferon alfa-2b and ribavirin for 24, 30, 36, 42, 48, 60, or 72 weeks (mean of 39 weeks, termed individualized therapy); the duration of therapy was determined based on baseline viral load and the time point at which HCV RNA levels became undetectable (measured at weeks 4, 6, 8, 12, 24, and 30). Results were compared with those of 225 patients who received standard treatment for 48 weeks (mean of 38 weeks).
Rates of sustained virologic response (SVR) were 55% among patients who received individualized treatment and 48% among those who received standard treatment (P < .0001 for noninferiority). SVR rates, according to the time point at which HCV RNA levels became undetectable, did not differ significantly between groups. Patients with a rapid virologic response (undetectable levels of HCV RNA at week 4) who were treated for 24 to 30 weeks achieved high rates of SVR (86%-88%). Rates of SVR increased among slow responders who first tested negative for HCV RNA at week 24 and were treated for 60 to 72 weeks compared with those treated for 48 weeks (60%-68% vs 43%-44%). The CC polymorphism at IL28B rs129797860 was associated with an increased rate of SVR compared with the CT/TT polymorphism (P < .0001) at baseline but not among patients who had undetectable levels of HCV RNA following treatment.
Individualizing treatment of patients with chronic HCV genotype 1 infections for 24 to 72 weeks results in high rates of SVR among rapid responders and increases SVR among slow responders.
It is very interesting and I can say encouraging too.
Best wishes for you
Guess that one wasn't the last updated thread..Anyhow, Agree with Mike..Early congrats on such a huge accomplishment in completing your 72 week sentence..Now focus on recovery, won't happen overnight, but in a few weeks you'll notice a huge happy difference.
All the best, pro
1600 mg riba/ 120 pegintron- 72 weeks (svr)
Oo! 1600mg Riba 72 weeks!!!You deserve it(SVR).
Just luck of the draw(g)...and response guided treatment. For some unknown reason I had a high tolerance of ribavirin, my doc spotted it through labs and addressed it. At 160 #'s and the high riba dose(22mg/kg), my hgb still hung in there at 11.
I'm a firm believer in riba (not looking for a fight(g))..your dosage was plenty high, actually, at your weight of 102 ibs @ 1000mg of riba that's 21.57 mg/kg--about the same as I was on.
Good luck, you're looking good, I was und @ week 18 myself..
I'm a member of the 72 week club too!
As a previous non-responder, I re-treated with high dose Riba (22mg/kg) and Pegasys injections every 5 days. I wasn't UND until week 20 (though I was <615 for months before which supposedly makes a difference). Anyway, I achieved SVR and don't regret a minute of it. Like Proactive, I believe that tailored Riba dosing made all the difference for me.
You gave it your best shot (excuse the pun)...I'd say your chances are pretty good. I truly wish you the best of luck.
You are a strong person:Pegasys every 5 days!.I took once Pegasys after 6 days and my NEUT.abs were 407.After that they were 630-900.Because I was not permitted to take Neupogen or samething else, I could not try it again .My hemoglobin was 9,5-9,8 with Riba1000-1200/day(19,23-22,85mg/kg..)
I hope for all of us the best.Thanks