Herpes from Earrings?

Hi there,
I recently received used earrings from a family member who has herpes.
I would go to a piercing shop and ask to use the autoclave to set my mind at ease, but they have small diamonds and I’m afraid it would make them fall off.
Can I contract anything from wearing them, even something other than herpes?
You have to have Herpes virus come in contact with eyes, mucous membranes, an abrasion or a persons genitals. So, I would wipe off the earrings with a disinfectant to be sure you don't have a microabrasion. It is not a place you usually get Herpes but a break in the skin can possibly transmit it if it was live herpes virus. The other thing is Herpes virus doesn't survive on surfaces very long. So there is probably no worry here about Herpes. The other thing is Hepatitis B and C can live on surfaces for a long time. So I would also use a disinfectant for that reason. Wipe the post and the back of the earring and any part that touches the ear.
mkh9

You are reading content posted in the Herpes Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.