Herpes Community

Herpes whitlow

My stepfather had shingles that attacked near his eye affecting his sight. I went to help my mother after he had been on IVs for 5 days and continued on them while I was there. About five days after my visit my mother called to inform me she had herpes whitlow. I am on immune suppressent medication for autoimmune diseases. Biological as well as methotrexate. My question is since she had not broken out yet and my stepfathers lesions were scabed over do I risk a chance of developing it? As far as the shingles I had a mild case of chicken pox as a child.
I'm sure you are fine. You need to come into contact for these viruses to spread.

It would be unusual to see a case of whitlow. Where was it and how diagnosed?
The Herpetic Whitlow developed on my mothers left thumb and was diagnosed with a biopsy done by her primary care physician.
You mean a culture of PCR test on a swab. A visual diagnosis of a punch biopsy is not accurate for a specific HSV diagnosis.

Shingles and HSV1 are entirely different viruses.

Unless you had direct rubbing to a herpes lesion, you would not contract HSV1.
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.