Is A Misdiagnosis of Genital Warts Common?

I received the Gardasil vaccine, which protects against almost all genital warts infections, when I was 13. I received it years before I had any sexual contact so it should be as effective as possible.

In June I was diagnosed with genital warts at planned parenthood. The nurse practitioner who diagnosed me did not know any of my medical history and did not even ask if I was vaccinated which I think should make an impact in a proper diagnosis.

I had 2 acid treatments a week apart and the lesions were gone in 2 1/2 weeks. Now that they are gone I cannot biopsy the lesions to find out if they were actually caused by an HPV infection.

So I just wanted to see if misdiagnosis's of genital warts are common and if anyone has had one.

Thanks for any feedback!
Hi for a doctor familar with this would be very accurate but bottom line is the bipsy would have confirmed it. It could have been molluscum as well. These also have a wart type feature.
The vaccine only protected you from 4 of the most common strains. There are lot more strains out there and some result in warts. Does misdiagnosis occur?  Yes. A biopsy result is always necessary, IMO. I had one removed last year that tested negative. If it ever happens again, get it biopsied and ask to be informed of the strain number.

You are reading content posted in the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community