Migraines and Headaches Community

Hair Loss and Topomax/Depakote

I have been suffering from chronic migraines for over a year now.  2 MRIs and they haven't found anything.  I started off on Topomax & Depakote to reduce my daily headaches which worked for a while.  As my migraines came back, my neurologist up'd my dosage.  I was at the max dose for each medications. Recently the side effects started getting worse (tingling, forgetfulness, shaking in hands) and my hair started falling out by the handfuls.  I told my doctor and he said it was the side effects of the meds and to wean myself off them, which I did and don't take anything now with the exception of Vicodin when it gets bad.  Has anyone had this same effect and since I'm off the meds, will my hair grow back in?  It used to be so long and really thick, now it's baby fine.....worried!
How are you? Hair loss is commonly reported as a side effect of depakote. If the dosage has been discontinued, the hair is expected to return back to normal. Try not to worry about this. Avoiding the triggers of your migraine may also help prevent their recurrences. The migraine tracker in this forum may help. Take care and do keep us posted.