Bad smell coming from nose..Found a Cure!!! Yayyyy

This is not a question but answer..i couldnt find how to comment or answer!

I have been suffering from a really horrible smell coming from my nostrils and if i sniffed i could also taste it..i tried actifed tablets and cattarh caspules but after a week it was still there..as if i had bad breath but instead of coming from my mouth it was coming from my nose..very embaressing as I work with customers every day and was sure they could smell it too.  So I went to the doctor and he gave me a nasal cream called Naseptin and some tablets called Erythromycin. After only a day of using these the smell has gone!  So there is a cure out there...its just finding the right one..now i dont know if its the cream that works or the tablets or both together but im just glad its gone. I have to finish the course tho. I was told that the smell was caused by bacteria that lives in the nose which had got infected. Hope this helps.

This discussion is related to bad odor smell from nose (continued).
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
In three days you will be free from such a problem forever.No medication, no nothing. Just cold prtssed coconut oil. Before you sleep, squeeze a couple of drops into both nostrils, till you feel it going down your throat. In three days all the bacteria that is causing the foul smell will be gone.

Simple logic: Coconut oil is anti bacterioal and anti fungal. Trust me, I have had this problem for 20 years, and now I am free from this torture by accident, and I want to share it with the world. Why not, I can understand the nightmare. Try it, everyone, a new life awaits all of you. Good riddance once and for all.

I have kept this short.

Regards!
Helpful - 5
Hi All,

I have had this problem for a year, after trying many things to get rid of the rotten smell nothing worked. I tried various creams and ointments and a nasal cleaning.
I did a lot of research and I found that an allergy spray, Fluticasone Propionate (Glucocorticoid) has the best results. After a few sprays you notice the smell going, I follow it up with a saline nasal gel, I got both over the counter from Walgreens. The smell went completely for 4 months, it did come back but then I followed the steps above and it went again. I hope this helps.
Helpful - 3
How fast do you follow it up with the gel after you’ve already done the spray?

I have kept this short.

Regards!
Helpful - 2
Where did you purchase the coconut oil from
Thank you for sharing your remedy! I'm starting this treatment tonight! I'll keep you updated about the results!
Try the friggy flush.  Google it.  It is great.  This smell comes from an infection in the sinuses.  After having sinus surgery I had a very hard time with removing all the hardened blood and mucous stuck in my nose.....and after a month began smelling a stench coming from my nose as well. I searched the internet for days and then came across the Friggy Flush...(it's an internet thread) Be sure to read all the comments and the ENT-Docs replies.  There is a specific way to do this...It is easy but messy.  
Do not do the friggy flush more than 2 days in a row because  you are using a double dose of salts and can cause harm if abused.   This flush works by cleaning out deep inside the sinuses and even up into the frontal  sinuses.   I do it in the shower because it is messy... Also, try putting a clove of garlic in your cheek and bite it once in a while...keep it in your cheek, put a new once in as needed.  Garlic has a natural antibiotic in it.  Do the garlic thing for about 2-3  full days.      
Helpful - 1
I notice that erythromycin tabs worked for a couple people i'm going to try it and see if it works
I think antibiotics are so bad for this bad smell it makes it worse but i have to take them because i have urine infection what should i do i Can smell it it is way awful than before i feel like dying
Helpful - 1
Hi there.  It almost the end of 2016. And I am replying to this 2008 comment. I dont know if u get this I pray you do. I am suffering from this same thing and no one has an answer. Its totally taken away my life. And the meds you mentioned are not in the u.s.a. Do you know of any other option or is there a way you can get me those meds. My life is totally destroyed.
ferdadj123456 at gmail *******.
Helpful - 1
Try treating it as a gut problem. I had the bad smell thing for about a year and then tested positively for candida. I started taking oil of oregano tablets daily and after a few days the smell went and my sinuses are a lot clearer. No harm in trying and you never know.
Address candida. I suffer from the same thing. Take vitamin c with zinc you will spit out nasty smelly mucus or feel it dripping. Also cut out sugar from your diet and use garlic. Best of luck.
Hi so very sorry to hear you have this awful condition. I had this a few years ago when I had pneumonia. I was put on erythromycin antibiotics and within hours everything smelt and tasted foul. Even my favourite perfume was unpleasant. Food tasted horrible. After a week I was so tearful and depressed I saw my doctor. She didn't offer a solution so I was left with the problem. I felt in despair and  people couldn't understand why it was so depressing. One day about three weeks later it started to ease and gradually cleared up. I googled what it could be and discovered that erythromycin can cause phantom smells and taste. Obviously I now refuse this when I have an infection. Fast forward four years and suddenly out of the blue I have started smelling a horrible chemical smell. I'm trying not to panic but not too successfully. I've read it can be a sign of an illness or dementia. I'm dieting and wonder if there's a connection there. I find that putting a little perfume under my nose helps (that smells ok this time!) I also find mints ok and they mask the taste a bit. So although I haven't found the answer, I'm hoping that it goes as it did the first time. I hope this is true for you and by now everything is back to normal. I'd be interested to hear how you are now. Good health and luck to all sufferers out there.
This works for me, no doctors, no prescription, sinusitis relief. It may take a bit of practice, once I got it right, instant improvement. Need to repeat every hour or so until infection is gone, may take a few days. Try at your own risk.  

Bend over a washing basin, nose straight down.  Squeeze both nostrils closed and perform the diver's Valsalva maneuver (go look it up).  Basically build pressure inside the nose to get air into the sinuses. Build pressure gradually and not so much to cause pain in your ears. Your ears may pop, that is ok.  One sign of success is if you hear the noise of air entering the sinuses through the swollen passageways. With very inflamed sinus cavities, the pressure change may make them painful, for the moment.

Release the pressure, and notice the air coming out of the sinuses, reducing the pressure and the pain if there was. If the pain persists, close the nose again and pull air to make negative pressure until the pain is at minimum. With very swollen passageways, it may take more pressure or suction than your lungs can do, build higher pressure or suction with a swallowing motion  of your mouth.  All this may take a bit of practice, but when you get it right, the pain subsides and the pumped and released air will have removed a bit of the mucus or liquid from inside the sinuses. Blow your nose, one nostril at the time and check the mucus caught in the washing basin. You want to get all that stuff out of your sinuses, so repeat the maneuver and blow your nose until it does not get any better.  

With a mild sinusitis, your nose may feel much freer by now.  Repeat as necessary, check hourly if you can get more air in and more mucus out. Keep going and in a few days, the sinuses may heal to a marked degree.  If not, see a competent medical practitioner.

I had painful sinusitis a few times a year, basically with every cold or hayfever, until I stopped dairy. Colds got fewer and hayfever subsided after a year of taking 1g of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) daily. I take much more when sneezing showed an infection brewing - being quick enough, I could stop some colds, not all. Wait 15 minutes could be too late, so  I try to carry enough Vitamin C with me any time. If the cold gets me (major cause: feet or legs got too cold for too long), the Valsalva maneuver helps me with the sinusitis, and in one case relieved a beginning stinky nose.  Air it out.
Helpful - 1
I've had this off and on for about two years. When it first started, I went to the doctor and got prescribed an antibiotic; this eliminated it for a short time, then it came back. I noticed that one thing that seemed to cause it to get way worse was eating candy or drinking regular sugary sodas. I cut sugar completely (including fruit juice) and it pretty much disappeared. Some googling around led me to the conclusion that it might be candida bacteria living in my nose and throat mucus, which gets bad especially in the fall and winter. These bacteria feed on sugars (among other things, I guess), and so any sugar intake and they go nuts and the stink is off the charts.

So, one thing to try is to cut sugar as much as you possibly can. No candy, sugary gum, soda with sugar, fruit juice, etc. Just drink lots of water with your meals and in between.

I've tried a number of the home remedies people have recommended. The saline or Alkalol nasal rinse/neti pot (including with the "flip turn" method) seems to help substantively but only temporarily. Definitely worth giving it a try.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned above that seems to me to help is to drink homemade ginger tea. You can buy whole ginger root at the grocery store and break off a hunk about the size of your palm, and scrape the peel off with a spoon or butter knife. Then you need to mince it or pulse it in a food processor. Then you need a way of infusing it in hot water; I have a tea pot that I use but obviously there are many different ways. Boil some water, steep the minced ginger for five minutes or so and pour. I like it with a little drop of honey, though not too much because a ton of sugar would defeat the purpose. You want to make enough for several mugs. My theory is that ginger, which is naturally antiseptic, cleanses the bacteria-infested mucus that builds up along the lining of your esophagus. Anyway, it seems to help.
Helpful - 1
Hello! I'm glad everything has cleared up for you! I'm actually going through this same thing. When say to cut all sugar do you mean natural sugars too like fruit? I drink an unsweetened cranberry juice diluted with a ton of water. Would I have to cut all of that too?
Tonsil stones. Behind your tonsils.
Helpful - 1
I have suffered from MOUTH ODOR for many years. I first got told when I was about 12 years old. Caused me social anxiety and a fear of being to close to someone. Saw the GP who told me to take antihistamines. Nothing has ever worked. I suffer from tonsil stones which are little smelly balls that live in the back of your throat. If you ever get the displeasure of coughing one up you will smell the rancid ness of it. After suffering for over 20 years i came across a product called therabreath after numerous hours of looking for a cure. It is very expensive but is designed for tonsil stones. I think a kit costs around £30 to buy but you can buy them all Separately. It was the best thing I ever found, the instructions were easy to follow and after the first use my breath no longer stank. I could speak with confidence. They now sell it in this country, boots stock it. So please if you can afford to try it then please do, it changed my life. Google Dr.williams he is the creator, he has a bad breath bible also which has a wealth of information. It's just such a shame that people have to go through their lives living with a chronic condition, it's life ruining, but yet nobody in 20 years ever mentioned tonsil stones, the worse thing is my 10 year old daughter suffers too and also here is his EMAIL ***@**** OR CONTACT HIM 09054914348
Helpful - 0
All these months later - DID THE NOSE STENCH RETURN?  Has it lessened or is it still gone?  We need to hear from you so we can better understand what works and for how long.  THANKS!!!!
Helpful - 0
WELL I TRIED THE FLUCONAZOLE 150MG, THREE PILLS, ONE PER WEEK FOR THREE WEEKS AS ONE PILL WORKS FOR SEVEN DAYS - NOT ONE - BUT THREE!!!! THREE WEEKS!!!!  IT DOES NOT WORK!!!! AT LEAST IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME!!!! SO....NO CURE HERE!!!!! ANOTHER DEAD END!!!!!!!!!!!!    I FOUND A NO CURE!!!!!! YAYYYY!  Dissappointing.
Helpful - 0
Hi im 18 years old. Ive been dealing with this problem since I was 14...Ive had bad breath over those 4 years and I got a cold this past winter and my condition has gotten worse..I no longer have a cold but I ALWAYS HAVE TO BLOW MY NOSE...Everywhere I go people can smell me and its SOO embarrasing...I havent had a girlfriend for 2 years now...I can stink up a whole room just by being in it and its sad cause I KNOW FOR SURE PEOPLE KNOW THAT THE SMELL THEYRE SMELLING COMES FROM ME....I WORK AT A PLACE WHERE I HAVE TO INTERACT WITH CO-WORKERS AND CUSTOMERS AND ITS TRAGEDY...IVE BEEN WORKING THERE FOR ONLY A MONTH and people know that the smell is coming from me....I used to think it was my breath which i stil think it is...so I used to talk as little as I can then I noticed that the air I exhale was SOOO HOT....and even when I keep my mouth shut people are stil sniffling around me....rubbing theyre nose..ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF....i remember hearing a co-worker saying "that kids needs to take a bathe"...and its SO SADD because I AM A CLEAN PERSON...SHOWER N BRUSH EVERYDAY....and i stil cant shake this curse..THINKIN ABOUT IT NOW I CANT EVEN COUNT THE AMOUNT OV MONEY I SPENT ON MOUTHWASHES,TONGUESCRAPERS,CO-PAYMENTS AT THE DOCTOR,GUM ETC.....I WATCH THE NEW ABOUT PEOPLE COMMITING SUICIDE AND STUFF LIKE THAT N I USED TO LAUGH BUT NOW WHEN I WATCH I THINK ABOUT WHAT I GO THROUGH AND I FEEL THEYRE PAIN...WHETHER THEY DID IT FOR THE SAME REASON OR NOT....ITSS LIKE OVER THE YEARS THE SMELL HAS GOTTEN EVEN WORSE..AND ITS LIKE MY BERATH ARE DOO-DOO BULLETS....PEOPLE CAN SMELL THEM FROM LIKE 3 FEET AWAY...IM SICK OF GOIN TO THE ENT  and have them tell me about allergies...I wake up in the morning and I have to spit up so much mucus......I Stopped smoking and the problem still persists....sometimes it feels like i have something stuck in my my throat when I swallow...THE WORST PART ABOUT THIS IS....MY FAMILY n FRIENDS....They know I have a problem but no-one HAS EVER SAID ANYTHING TO ME....n IT hurts because I know theyre somewhat ashamed but they love me and they know saying something will be too damaging to my ego and confidence which is already low...THIS CONDITION REally showed me who my real loved ones are....IVE BEEN TAKING PRILOSEC OTC cause the ENT said I HAVE GERD but after 3-4 weeks of taking this I realize this is not where my problem lyes...I NEED HELP PEOPLE.....I REALLY NEED HELP.....I CANT GO THROGH LIFE LIKE THIS......I HAVE TOO MANY ASPIRATIONS IN LIFE AND SOMETHING LIKE THIS CAN HINDER THEM ALL.............ITS FUNNY BECAUSE IN JUNIOR  HIGH I WAS VOTED  CLASS CLOWN And now PEOPLE know me as "THE QUIET BOY"....and overtime they realize why im so quiet.....IM NO Womenizer but I LOVE WOMEN....HOW CAN I EVER APPROACH A WOMEN ANYMORE LIKE THIS.........

SOMEONE PLEASE HELPPPPP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IM SO DESPERATE..SMH!!!!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Hey do you still have this problem?
immune therapy
Hi, I`ve been staying with my wife for past 17 years with no problems. 2 years back i started smelling bad smell coming from her nose, at first i thought its from her mouth and tried to keep some sweets nearby so that we both have them before we can start carddling but it kept on coming back. And now recently i have just noticed that is directly coming from her nose. Please help what can, I haven't told her yet as i feel like it might make her uncomfortable and worst part is she likes holding me and so closely when we on bed. Its really killing me. Please help
Tonsil stones..?
thanks for your quick response and concern...I was originally scheduled to go back to the ENT in a month but I am going to make a appointment this week. It kinda saddens me thought that I have had this condition for a while now and it makes me think whether im in too deep and there's no cure....But since you've shared your story with all of us I have hope because I believe God has a cure for it  and we probably all did something to bring about this sickness and didn't know the possible repercussions.

I think we should all pray for each other because we're truly helpless people and we need all the love and positive energy we can get just so we can stay in good spirits and keep hope alive.

I recently brought a saline nasal spray and I noticed a change in my nostrils. The air coming from it is much cooler already and its easier to breathe through my nose. Maybe im on to something. I'm going to mix another saline solution with salt n baking soda and experiment with certain remedies until my oppointment.
Helpful - 0
Yea I've been given antiobiotics. I finished them a while ago. When I first got them I noticed a difference in my overall health..how I felt, and how my nasal passages felt but after a while it stopped.

I stil have more of this one antibiotic called CEFUROXIME AXETIL I dont know what it does but it was the first antibiotic I had gotten a while back. When I went to the ENT they did a culture exam on the back on my throat and they noticed my nostrils were inflammed and they said I had a infection. The infection I had in my throat was  Morganella morgani...I took antibiotics for it but i dont know whether its stil there. I guess I'll find out on my next trip there....I cant take the fact that they serve you and tell you to come back 2 weeks from now or a month..as if your not suffering from something really serious.
Helpful - 0
For how long you have the bad breath from the nose?  Mine has been going on a little over a year now and I think its getting worse because i think now it both my nose and my mouth.. I am going to try naseptin and see if it will help.  Will let you know after 10days of use.  
Helpful - 0
Mine also the same problem.Bad breeth from last 1 year.
I used so many tablets but nothing won't work for me
finally i try to use Naseptin and Erythromycin.
Am from india.whether these medicines are available in india?
I don't know.if anybody knows india paramacy address please post me

Helpful - 0

Helpful - 0
I  tried the Naseptin but unfortuately didn't work... I have used it for ten days now and my breath still smell like my poo I'm sorry... I dont know what to do anymore since I have also done a nasal surgery..
Helpful - 0
hi! I've had a similar problem for more than 10 years now...
Out of the blue my smell/taste change and everything i eat/smell is awfull.
Searching for a "cure" i found out, that using water through my nose and letting it out again (like washing the nose from the inside). It works, but it does not solve the problem.
Besides, the problem is only getting worse as time goes by. In the past it would happen sometimes during the week, now it happens sometimes during the day. I wash it and have it again after a while. It's horrible. I wrote to this doctor and he said it is definately associated with my demyelination (a brain abnormality) and i should search a solution in that direction. In another forum someone had demyelination too and the doctor said it has nothing to do with it.
I am really frustrated... I don't know what to do...! Everything stinks, tastes awfull and i can't enjoy my life.. really! What do we do??
Helpful - 0
Do this breathing technique and it will balance your left and right brain and both your nostrils. Your feedback will help others to see how this simple exercise helps in so many ways. You are balancing your systems to fight off the problem.Do not give up before 4 months.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
Helpful - 0
Hi there
I'm Akira. I had had bad breadth from my nose too long that my self esteem was badly damaged.
Dear young_n_restless, this is what worked for me. I hope it woks for you. I thank everyone for their suggestions, so helpful. I believe the breathing technique to balance your right and left brain will balance  almost everything in your whole being especially supported by an attitude of prayer and adoration with gratitude to the giver of life.
Also the saline solution even home made is excellent, it also worked for me in many other cases like soar throat as you attack it at the first sign like itchy throat, curing a wound, colon cleansing, constipation, ear infection...If you can wake up early morning to worship God, watch the sunrising , love and embrace the sun and all of nature, you find out that the love of God flows everywhere  to give life abundantly, to heal and sustain us. Please keep your head and neck warm. My e-mail: ***@****
God be with you.
Helpful - 0
Thanks Akira. I feel inspired by your post. Will look to get closer to the most high
Hello All,
I believe I’m cured.  Don’t give up hope!!!
I’ve been suffering from the same symptoms everyone’s calling… chronic sinusitis.  
The symptoms were a really bad, bad, horrible smell coming from my nasal passage and throat.  Sometimes the smell got to be so bad I though it was coming from my pores.

I went to see my primary care physician about 3 times…  a Ear Nose and Throat doctor once…
My Primary Care Physicians gave me meds for drainage and an antibiotic.  It wasn’t working.  I didn’t think a cure was in sight.  The ENT gave me some antibiotics and recommended surgery to open up my nasal area to increase the drainage flow… I really considered the surgery… and was about to schedule a follow up appointment to discuss the possibility of going through with it, Until…

I prayed to GOD in Jesus Christ’s name about this whole ordeal that I’ve been going through.  This wasn’t the first time I prayed, but when I did pray… a temporary solution was received… I guess it depends on how and for what I pray for; at least that’s how I saw it.  The next time I prayed I made sure I was specific and included as many details to the problem as I could.  My wife prayed as well on her own.  

When I was taking the antibiotics, I thought the problem was going away.  The smell did go away, but not completely; The smell was more manageable, but unpredictable.  I started to use the NeilMed Sinus Rinse; sometimes with a half cap of Peroxide.  It helped a little, but I had to do it often.  Then I got word of a product called AYR Sinus Gel.  It’s used to keep the nasal passage moist.  As I understand it, when the nasal passage gets dry, coupled with infected mucus makes a smelly day.  I also use Maximum Strength Mucinex D – 1200mg guaigenesin & 120mg pseudoephedrine HCL.  

(About 10 days ago… I prayed again that morning; being very specific and not feeling to confident about my day.  I went too work, completed my day.  I treated my symptoms with the Rinse, Peroxide and nasal gel… as I did every morning, sometimes twice a day.   And then I caught a cold.  In this case a cold was a good thing.  The cold forced me to blow my nose so much I generated a bag and ½ full of used tissue; over the course of the cold.  I was constantly discharging the infected mucus from my nose and spitting mucus from my throat.  This went on for about 5 days.  At the end of the 7th day the smell was GONE.  I THANKED GOD.  The sequence of days went like this.  ( I caught a cold on a Friday.  I was coughing over the week end.  We had a snow storm Sunday night.  I was off work / snowed in for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and went back to work on Thursday.  I wasn’t 100% on Thursday.  But by Friday I didn’t smell the same odor.  I didn’t really smell any odor.)   I told myself and made a promise to GOD that if this smell is gone, I would reply back to this blog and explain my ordeal so others would have Hope and read how my problem was resolved.  

I didn’t want to enter the blog until I was certain, because I’ve had the issue for about a year.  I waited for 7 more days… until January 21st, 2010 to enter this blog.  This medical blog is the resource I used to research my symptoms when I was looking for clues to my sinus problem.  I read some horrible stories and understood the stress people were going through.  

So in summary… Prayer in Jesus Christ’s name was my cure and the cold was my Blessing…  Today I only use the sinus rinse because it’s a good way to clean the nasal passage, I use the nasal gel in the morning to avoid any nasal dryness; along with Maximum Strength Mucinex D.  I use these products only once a day and I have no odor coming from my nasal passages…  I really do not need to take these meds for chronic sinusitis… I only take these meds for good hygiene and as a precaution.  

I hope this information is helpful.  The solution may sound simple and straight forward, but my doctors basically gave up.  GOD was my only option, besides surgery; which I hear wasn’t successful for some people.  

My job requires me to be in people’s faces for meetings and business conversations, so I understand the stress this medical issue can cause.
Helpful - 0
Flex44 thanks for your post.  I too pray every day about this problem.  I am desparately in need of employment right now and NOBODY will give me a job.  I am going to try your method.  Did your smell only come from your nose?  Mines come from nose and mouth.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Respiratory Disorders Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.