Stomach Cramp, Diarrhea, sweating , light headedness and fainting

I have experienced on 4 occasions in the last 6 years a rather weird Diarrhoea attack which really is painful and scary. Here is a description of what occurs.

1. Sudden abdominal pain which increases in intensity over a short time. The same sensation one might get when they are about to get Diarrhoea.

2. I go to the toilet and try excreting whatever wants to come out. However after about a minute of sitting there with nothing coming out I suddenly few light headed and am starting to get a dizzy spell like I am about to faint and my breathing weakens.

3. This borderline fainting sensation lasts for about another minute before I break out into a sudden sweat all over my body. Within a few seconds I have sweat literally pouring out of me, my clothes are wet as if I ran a marathon or something.

4. After a minute of sweating I suddenly feel something coming out of my rear end. I try to squeeze it out and only a hard stool comes out.

5. The sweating stops and the stomach cramp subsides. I think everything is over and I clean up. I walk out of the toilet and in about 2 minutes time the stomach cramp and the fainting sensation comes back (I've fainted only once to date from this and was out for about 15-20 minutes).

6. When I get back to the toilet I have a really violent Diarrhoea episode in pure liquid state. It takes a few minutes to subside and once I
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I too have suffered the same symptoms for the last 25 years. No doctor has been able to diagnose it. It seems that my body is trying to lose as much liquid as possible through intense sweating and extreme diarrhoea  I think that the very painful cramps and feignting are a result of the water loss. Usually, if I can recognise the attack soon enough I can head off the worse by drinking a lot of water very quickly. This morning, 2am, I had the most severe attack yet. So bad I had my wife call 911. The problem is that the docs never get to witness the attack. The doc in the hospital was convinced it was gastro entiritis (sp?).
I am encouraged to hear that my symptoms are not unique, but a little dissappointed that there seems to be no known condition and thus management of it. I read the reference to vasovagal reaction, but after reviewing many websites on the topic do not see that much similarity to our symptoms. I found the same to be true for IBS.
If anyone discovers anymore on this condition, please share.
Helpful - 0
Check out Acute Pancreatitis. A lot of the symptoms are similar. I am awaiting results of blood tests. Will update once I have more info.
Helpful - 0
I just had this happen to me at 6:30 AM this morning.  It was so scary.  I had this once last year, but I was in Lebanon and I thought it was because I drank some of their water and it was a virus or something, but it happened again.  I don't eat badly.  I stay pretty healthy.  I did have Chinese food last week, but nothing too greasy.  In Lebanon I didn't have any greasy foods.  It was all very healthy and I still had these symptoms.  I seriously thought I was dying.  It's nice to know that I'm not alone, but the circumstances are terrible.  I was sweating so badly and I just rested my head on the bathroom wall because I was so weak.  I hope there is a cure for this some how, but it doesn't happen that often.  
Helpful - 0
went through this episode where I had the exact same symptons, fainted, profuse sweating, gastro upset. passed out three times.  this happened three months before with out the passing out. This time heart was racing,blood pressure low. couldn't call 911 if I wanted to.  couldnt get off bathroom floor for an hour or so. Went to emergency room..long story short..this episode had possibly damaged my heart and the heart attack enzyme was elevated. i had a murmur surgically repaired 27 years ago and now doctors are saying that there could be electrical problems to the heart,etc.......wanted to keep me in hospital to do a catherization that would check heart electrical impulses but i convinced my primary doc to let me do it on a outpatient basis...scary stuff
Helpful - 0
I have had these symptoms since i can remember and I'm so relieved i have found this site so i now know other people suffer from this and its not just me. Cramps, Dizzy, Fainting, Sweaty, Loose Bowel Movement and often beeing sick. a couple of times i have fainted and have been shaking whilst passed out. It feels like I'm about to die. Some times i can't speak cos my tongue has gone funny and my hands are stuck in the same position. These attacks can last up to 20 minutes, they are so exhausting all i want to do is sleep after an attack. I have woken up in the night to go to the loo and pass out. The doctor doesn't seem to no what it is and the last doctor i saw said it was just me and my body and its somthing that i do. Lately they have been happening more frequently, Ive had 6 attacks since December 07. it is really quite scary and i would love to find a cure.
Helpful - 0
It's a twelve year old thread, but I'm so happy (2021) to finally come across people who have exact the same symptoms. Thank you all for your answers!
I live with this condition since I'm ten years old, for thirty years now. Have it also 2-5 times a year. No doctor or somebody else (not even the mighty online world) could tell me what that condition is.
Everytime I feel like dying, and it's seems nobody believes me the intensity of such an attack. It's not even pain...it's pure agony....hard to describe......cannot breath, sweating....cramps.... blood pressure drops.....and sometimes I get squeezed into fainting.

But.....dear friends...... obliviously I'm not a doctor and I don't know what that condition is, 3 years ago after an attack so violently I had  to try to self medicate myself.
I always had the feeling that bad stuff in the guts has to come out, hence the dhiarria attack. So I was instinctively afraid of taking any anti dhiarria medication. But one day when a attack started I took the decision to take 2 pills of Imodium (Loperamid) and it was the best decision I made. I found out that all the resulting symptoms of sweating, blood pressure drops, breathing problems, fainting, came from the colic spasms, means the overworking of the gut peristaltic (gut movement to squeeze and liquify). All what Loperamid does is stopping the gut movements for a few hours. And that's the immediate remedy for all the symptoms (not the cause obviously). Wherever I go I always have Loperamid with me....always. Whenever you feel the slightest start of these typical gut feelings immediately take a pill or two! It's stops the progression in 3-10 min. I prevented so many of these attacks in the last three years, for me it really works and the relieve from fear and pain is so great that I just could not not tell people about it. The quicker you take it ( even after first intuition) the more pain and agony you could save yourself. Sometimes I take it as a provilactic for train plane bus travels ect. situations where I know I would cause big trouble and probably ambulance because I could in that attack not explain to anybody to just leave me alone and not touch me slouching on the toilet seat.

It works so well this Loperamid and therefore want to finally share it with fellow sufferers.
I hope it can help you to lose some fear over imminant attacks.

I wish you all the best.....may you find relieve.

Daniel
I ended up in ER..took me about 5 hours after resting to have the strength to even go there.  Look up vaso vagal syncope  in my case they think it was neurocardiogenic syncope. I am going for tests. When I got home from hospital I noteived I had two bruises on my head where I had passed out in bathroom.Feels like the end is near when this happens but if you are relatively healthy your body has that mechanism in place to get you low to the ground fast so you can get blood to your brain..SEE A NEW DOCTOR..Go in educated. I had four doctors from the ER to a primary to a cardiologist and they want to do more tests..sounds llike you need that too..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community