Varicose Veins Community
86 Members

One side of neck is so very stiff, external vein is more visible one side.

I have a very light feeling of stiffness in one side my neck. An external vein is slightly visible On the same side of stiffness. Not necessarily large, but only slightly.There are no other definitive symptoms. I do cardio exercise, eat greens, drink water.  Is this something I should go to the ER for? I can provide a picture for more clarification.
Hello and welcome to the forum.  We appreciate your question.  Most certainly, I recommend you call your doctor about this.  It's difficult to say from your description so medical evaluation is important.  A possibility is jugular vein distention.  https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320320#what-is-jugular-vein-distention  This would need to be diagnosed from more than just appearance but perhaps sounds like what you are describing.  Is this bulge on the right side?  Jugular vein distention occurs when the pressure inside the vena cava increases and appears as a bulge running down the right side of a person’s neck.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else