Endometrial biopsy

I'm going to have endometrial biopsy because of irregular spotting. The doc said it'll be uncomfortable because I've never given birth. Anyone in my situation and had endometrial biopsy? Was it unbearably painful like the WORST period cramp?  I'm advised to take 4x200mg motrin. Thanks
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
I have to go see a  gynecologist because the internal ultrasound I had done showed thickening and irregular area in the lining of the Endometrium wall 12 mm in size.The uterus and ovaries were not enlarged. I need a biopsy to test for cancer.I'm scared.What are the chances this is cancer?I am 39 years old and have two children.I have been spotting off and on for years.Some months every month but other months ot at all.Thank you.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I had a very painful and traumatic biopsy today.

It would have been so nice to have had a warning that for most women it's not a big deal but for some women it is terrible.

I relate to a lot of these stories. Thanks for sharing them. It's helping me heal emotionally.

Do you think the pain might not be due to the woman but due to the doctors making mistakes?
I am 28 years old, I have no children, I'm schedule to have a Endometrail Biopsy on the 15th of December, I'm not going to lie I'm scared. I don't like anything where I don't really know the outcome. I want to have children one day and I'm afraid that this will cause me not to be able to conceive. I know women go through these sorth of things everyday, but I'm really scared of the outcome. If some of you don't mind and if I'm not being to personal can some of you share your results. Thank You so much for your help
Thank You for your sensibility ! I think anyone will feel the procedure, but pre-medicate, relax, and release resistance. If you clamp down...the doctor has to work harder against the tense tissues !
Please or to view.
worst pain EVER i was yelling and sobbing on table could barely go through with it only reason i did was cuz i didnt want to wait another month to do it     def tell your dr you want it done in the OR so you can be sedated and numbed
July 11,2011
I was suposed to have endomentrial biospy today, but when I got to the doctor office she said that the pharmacy gave me the wrong medication which I took the night before, it was misoprostol pill 200mgg. She said   that I was suppose to get the cream. So she would not do the biospy and now I go back on July 14. Have not given birth . Am post menphousal.
does anyone know if the pill I took will cause any problems?
and what does the cream do?
My lining of the uterus was thick, No bleeding.
by: dcmattingly
Please or to view.
I had one three weeks ago tomorrow and have to say I'm still hurting from it or so it seems..

During the procedure, she had a hard time getting the tube in, so she had to use a tool to dialate my cervix enough to get it it which hurt like ****. I got the clammy, sweaty feeling until after it was done. Afterwards, I had awful cramping. Enough to bring tears to my eyes. I was crampy the next day and spotted for about a week until my period started again.. (So much fun since I had a whopping 3 days between end of last period and biopsy of no bleeding.) Now, I am still spotting from my period and I have been having cramping through the whole period, which is not normal. Now the cramping is so bad that I am sitting here at work fighting back tears and PRAYING for the end of day to come so I can go home.

I'm not trying to freak anyone out, but this has been my seemingly neverending experience. :(.......
Please or to view.
I got an email today about my post immediately following my biopsy in May 2009, so I'm updating.

I had a mastectomy with reconstruction for breast cancer three weeks ago.  My biggest fear was not the cancer -- it was that I would feel the same level of pain caused by the endometrial biopsy.  I seriously considered not having the surgery rather than risk feeling that kind of pain again.   I was a complete pest in the hospital about getting my pain meds immediately on the 4 hour mark.  No one understood -- family, friends and medical team.  I felt patronized but I didn't care.  

It changed who I am.  I still shudder and flinch when I think about it.  

Would I do it again?  NO WAY.  I will cheerfully die of endometrial cancer before I would do that again and you are talking to someone with a 4 inch chest scar and rounds of chemo ahead of me.  NO WAY.

If you have this in your future, I implore you to refuse the test unless you are given at least twilight anesthesia.  There is no legitimate reason that is not the accepted protocol in the US -- male driven insurance machines if you ask me.

I'm STILL mad.
Please or to view.
I thought it was AWFUL.  I was in so much pain during the procedure that I asked her to stop.  She was almost done so she told me to hang in there. I have had 2 kids and have never felt this type of pain before.  My was done to rule out cervical cancer before I have an ablation.   I agree that there should be some sort of pain med administered.  I feel that I have a high pain tolerance also, but I was in some much pain during this procedure and the cramping i am having is awful!
Shame on you for dismissing other women's experiences! How DARE you? You were lucky- yours wasn't painful. That doesn't mean that that is the case for all women, and it doesn't have a thing to do with one's pain threshold.
For some women, the procedure isn't bad. For other women, it truly is the worst pain they've ever felt, and it isn't about their pain threshold, it's about luck. You should be grateful that you got lucky, not berating women for whom it was an incredibly painful, traumatizing experience.
I agree with Randombana, shame on you. You are one of the lucky ones.  I have had two endo biopsy and going in this Monday for another.  I have a very high threshold for pain.  I have had two children naturally, treatment for cervical cancer, breast explant, cone biopsy, and the list goes on.  the pain form this procedure is the worst I have ever felt.  and even though I have pain meds to take before the procedure I am freaking out because the pain is so intense.  
Please or to view.
P.S. I have never given birth, have never had an abnormal pap smear, am not menopausal and am over 40. I have no idea if any of those are factors, but as I said, this was an incredibly horrific experience.
Please or to view.
i just had mine done yesterday and it was also the most painful procedure i have ever had done..there is no way i would ever have it done again with being put under..i had a biopsy of the cervix 2 weeks prior to this and that wasnt that painful..so when i asked this nurse if this one hurt she stated it was less painful..boy was she wrong..i screamed in the office"are you done, please be done, please, please, please be done, are you done"
I had a biopsy. I did not experience any pain or cramps. I do feel a little sore down there, but thats about it. I think the reason i didn't have any bad symptoms is because they played meditation music in the room. The doctor wanted to know if I wanted to hear the sounds of birds or rainfalls. I didn't think doctors play music during biopsys, but I said okay. I think the doctor will play meditation music as a calming effect since some patients get discomfort or instant cramping. Since I meditate at home using meditation music. I decided to let the doctor play the music so I can go into a meditative state.I think it helped. the only thing i felt during the procedure is when they stuck the needle down there to numb the area, adn afterwards when they started the procedure it felt like they were just poking something down there, but it didn't hurt.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I know what you are talking about.  I had one couple years ago and it hurts so bad that the patients in he waiting room heard me.  I know have to get another one so my Dr. give me misoprostol to take.
I had an endometrial biopsy about 3 weeks ago due to abnormal uterine bleeding (I've been bleeding for over two months straight).  My doctor had me take 800mg of ibuprofen three times the day before the procedure and once the morning of.  Actually since my appointment wasn't until about 2:30 I took the last dose of ibuprofen about an hour and a half before the procedure so it would still be in my system.  I was very nervous about it.  The pinch as she was opening the cervix was the most painful part.  It did hurt, but I wouldn't say it was excruciating.  I never felt the need to cry out.  After that came the extraction of tissue.  It's a twisting of the instrument that gathers the tissue.  That felt like a bad cramp.  That happened 3 times.  Another strong pinch when the clamp on the cervix was taken off.  That was it.  Afterwards, my bleeding was actually a bit less than it had been. I wasn't really crampy.  I felt more sort of bruised.  It was definitely more comfortable to recline or lie down than sit.  I took it easy that night and the next day, but after that I was completely fine.  Except for the bleeding that's been ongoing.  I am scheduled for an ablation soon.

I would absolutely insist on some sort of ibuprofen or something before this procedure.  
Thank you for your post. Most women on this forum say that the endometrial biopsy is very painful. You say it's bearable. I'm scheduled to have this procedure later on this week and I'm concerned. I've been advised to take 2 misoprostol 200 mg 4 hours before the procedure and to take 2 advils, 200 milligrams each. Anyway, thank you for posting your
comments. I'm still a little worried, but not as worried as before.
The single thing you should take away from this forum is that the experience can be mild, or it can be excruciating. It has nothing to do with one's pain tolerance or pain threshold, and it probably doesn't have a lot to do with the skill of the doctor.
I DO think that being prepared in advance that it can be incredibly painful and taking painkillers (I wasn't and I didn't) actually has a lot more to do with whether the experience is mild or horrifying than anything else does. Just because one person inappropriately and rudely dismissed others' experiences doesn't make her right, and it certainly doesn't make her an expert. I encourage you to prepare for yours in any way that you can, to take painkillers, and to ask your doctor for any tips that can help ease the procedure. Taking one person's presumptive, inaccurate proclamation that it simply isn't painful is very foolish. I hope that yours was NOT painful, but that doesn't change the FACT that for many women, it is.
It's not a moral failing; it's not a pain threshold issue. It's an experience and is therefore unique to every single person who has it. Choosing to treat one person's experience as factual and others as fallacy is pretty darned foolish, however.
Actually, from what you wrote, your doctor did help you to prepare for yours, which is better than what mine did. I do hope it went well and was pain-free.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
This is crazy.  Way to scare the crap out of people who MAY DIE if they do not get this test.  I am one such woman.  I am 48 yo.  Have 3 kids and now after no period for 3 years, I got one.  Had ultra sound now they want biopsy.  Came on here to see what people say.  See some lawyer talk about "Post tramatic stress" and how she is messed up because of this test.

Ladies - who the hell cares if it hurts - YOU COULD DIE WITHOUT IT!!!!! Do you get that?  Get the test if you need it.  IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!!
I had 2 labor plus C-section births at ages 33 and 37.  I am now 66 and had been bleeding for 5 days. My female OB/GYN wanted to do an endometrial biopsy. I also have a large fibroid benign tumor.  The morning of the procedure my doctor had me take 1 Cytotec/Misoprostol 200mcg tab to dilate the cervix, plus 4 - 200mg Advil in case there was cramping.  There was no cramping.
Then that afternoon, 1 hour before my appointment I was instructed to take 4 more 200mg Advil. First I had a uterine sonogram to check the benign tumor, look for polyps and measure the thickness of the endometrium. I was told the endometrium should be less than 5mm thick.  Mine was 2mm, which the tech said was good. The sonogram did not hurt at all and there was no discomfort. For the biopsy I was told I would feel a pinch.  That was not true.  I felt about 4 large hard pinches and 2 "hurt like hell" feelings that took several moments to complete.  I held still but started to sweat, and moaned. The female doctor apologized to me and was very caring. I am grateful I had all that Advil in me.  I did bleed and spot a little for about 2 days, but did not have much discomfort or any pain after the procedure was done.  I took my husband along as a designated driver.  The pain meds made me dizzy. I am glad the test was done to see if I have cancer. The doctors office will call in a day or 2 to let me know the results of the tests.
I had one 14 years ago and it was unbearably painful.  Now, at 66 without having given birth and significant atropy, I cannot believe how difficult it is to find a gyn who will give me pain meds or meds for conscious sedation.  What is the reluctance of the medical community to protect women from this kind of unnecessary pain???!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi everyone! I read these comments yesterday as I was googling for information about the endometrial biopsy that I had scheduled for this morning.  After reading some of y'alls painful experiences I was TERRIFIED of the procedure!!  So, I thought I'd come back and report on how mine went.  Long story short, my doctor answered all my questions and really put me at ease beforehand.  My procedure was not "painful" at all.  There was about 10 seconds of an uncomfortable feeling...but it wasn't bad.  I promise! He used a numbing spray and then an instrument called a Tao Brush. He says that the Tao Brush causes less pain than the traditional methods.  Ask your doctor for the numbing spray and that "Tao Brush"!  It will go smoother than you think!
I just had an appointment where my dr suggested an endometrial biopsy due to heavy and irregular bleeding (perimenopause).  After reading sites such as this and in talking with family and friends, I've decided to have it done as an outpatient procedure under anesthesia.  I've never had children and have anxiety and just know how much pain I could be in, i'm willing to put if off until I can be sedated.  
Regardless of whether one's doctor uses a Tao brush, the procedure can be mild or extremely painful.

What irks me the most about mine is that the sole reason mine was done was because my doctor put me on the lowest-estrogen form of birth control pill available, which did not provide me with enough estrogen to sustain my uterine lining. As a result, I spotted constantly. There is LITERALLY a flow chart that gynecologists use that says "is patient 40+" and if so, says to perform an endometrial biopsy. My biopsy was completely normal and was only performed because my doctor was checking a box in a flow chart.

Contrary to what a few (e.g. wendysayswtf) of the women posting here seem to think is the case, not all endometrial biopsies are done for a genuinely good reason, not all of them "save your life", and not all of them are free of excruciating pain and trauma.

While I appreciate that for many women, the procedure isn't bad, it is not for us to say whether another person's experience is valid or not. I have an extremely high pain threshold and pain tolerance- I didn't even notice when I separated my shoulder, nor when I herniated a disc in my spine. I am no weakling, no cry baby, no shrinking violet, and no stranger to pain, and none of that changes the fact that my endometrial biopsy was one of the most painful, scarring experiences of my life. SHAME on anybody who belittles others for pain they experienced; consider yourself lucky you didn't have the same experience.
Shame on YOU for belittling other people's experiences. You got lucky; yours wasn't bad. Be grateful for that and don't take others to task for something they experienced that you have not.
My endometrial biopsy 8 years ago was one of the worst experiences of my life.  I was literally screaming, I'm sure they heard me way down the hall.  The operating table was covered in blood and I continued to bleed very heavily for three days.

I was 53 at the time and have never given birth.  I had no preparation of any kind, not even an Advil.  The doc had a hard time forcing that rod through my cervix.  When she stopped trying, I thought good, it's over, only to have her tell me that she never even got in. When it WAS finally over, the doc walked out of the room and I just lay there alone in a pool of blood, sobbing my heart out.    

Saying it's like a bad pap smear is ridiculous; there is no comparison.  I could talk on the phone while having a pap smear and no one would be the wiser.  However that endometrial biopsy was so bad that I will never have another unless I am OUT.

I should add that I had shoulder surgery the previous year and the nurse went to great lengths to tell me how to deal with the post-op pain.  But I never even used the pain pills they sent me home with.  

I hate that docs lie about the pain of this procedure.  I suspect they think that it’s all in our minds and that if they just tell us it won’t hurt, then, hey, it won’t hurt!  So I wasn’t expecting it at all.  

I have had some watery discharge so am going to see my ob-gyn and do this again. But this time I will insist on anesthesia.  

Please or to view.
Ladies, I just had an  "Endometrial Biopsy" today 2-12-15,  and let me tell you...... it was HORRIBLE! I hope to GOD I never need one ever again. I do not understand how doctors are allowed to perform this without putting you out. All I can say........ pain killers before and after.  God Bless!
Sorry for the pain you endured! Hopefully, the results show that all is fine or at least nothing more than hyperplasia which is usually curable with hormonal medication. So many women have unnecessary hysterectomies. I did and have nothing but regrets and more regrets. Let us know what you find out. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is nothing serious.
I am thankful to have found your post.  I feel like EVERYONE else has had less painful experiences than what I went through.  I described it as back labor pain and that is what I googled to find this thread.  This was my second biopsy and the worst even though the doctor is very experienced.  Obviously I wouldnt know what back labor feels like if I didnt experience it (21 years ago).  Maybe that is why this procedure was so bad, maybe something about my body.  If I have to do this again I will pay for anesthesia if they let me.  
I am having the biopsy this week and am scared to death!!  Sounds painful and I am a chicken - I have high pain tolerance BUT a chicken!!!
I had my endometrial biopsy done couple of days ago.  Since the doctor could not find my cerivx she had asked me to use 2 Misoprostol pills (which is usually given to pregnant people to help them give birth) 3 hours before the precedure.  I was also asked to take one Hydrocodine medication before the procedure -which I did. The procedure itself was really painful and it took half an hour.

I have never given birth before. However, few hours after my endometrial biopsy I started having a lot of pain.  I  felt like I was giving birth to a 3 headed alien baby without any anesthesia.

P.S better give 911 a heads up to come and take you to the ER after the procedure. That is exactly what happened to me!
P.S. I don't want dissuade women who need this procedure done. Hopefully they have a better experience then me.

If I have to do it again I will. But next time I will make sure to do it in the hospital.