Extremely itchy labia near vagina, no discharge

Ok, so I've been putting up with on again, off again itching for months on my labia, near my vaginal opening. Never "diagnosed" with HPV but I did get rid of a suspected wart this past year. Can you have a bacterial infection without discharge? It drives me CRAZY sometimes, the only thing that calms it is gold bond ointment, which is minty and refreshing but I'd like no itch. No "rash" that I can see, unless I give in and scratch. I take cranberry supplements to keep me flushed out for a UTI, which I was treated for last year. My doctor is unsupportive, and unhelpful-told me was due to regrowth from not getting waxed. I just want some facts to arm myself with before trying the doc (new doc) office again.

Any suggestions?? All you cooch experts feel free to speculate.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Theres so many comments I cant even read them all! Has anyone found any long term solution? Im 19 and this started happening 3 months ago. My doctor said she thinks it started out as a yeast infection and now I just have an extremely sensitive labia/vaginal opening? Im not sure though. When it first started I did Monistat twice, over the counter Flucanozole twice, two diflucan pills, even tried boric acid suppositories, and recently was given estrogen cream because my obgyn just thinks its irritated. I noticed that sometimes Im completely fine, no itch at all. And sometimes l will get a little stabbing pain somewhere on my vagina and I notice that the area gets red and my labia becomes enflamed for about 20 minutes. Itchiness comes and goes, it is not constant. Ive been tested for bv, trichomanisas, yeast infections, and stds and it all comes back negative. At one point I had a little rash on my inner labia. Not bumps, just a red rash. Im honestly at a loss. Doctors keep brushing me off pretending like its nothing but I KNOW I have something wrong with me. After looking at these posts the only thing I can conclude is a hormone imbalance maybe? Maybe dust mites that live in bed sheets? Im honestly just so confused, its affecting my life :(
Helpful - 2
Oh my gosh I'm not crazy! I'm 24 and not sexually active and the exact same thing has been happening to me! I keep going to doctor after doctor and nobody will tell me what's wrong!
Hi, I'm 38 years old I been having the same problem! It only itches on one side of my labia and its usually really bad around my ovulation! I went to my OB/ Gyn 3 times and he said its something that I'm allergic too!  I got rid of everything and got all new products and still the same!  It's so upsetting! I'm glad I'm not the only one!
I had suffered with that for a while and It would always come a few days before my period...drove me crazy..then in started taking vitamin b supplements and I haven't had it since. U can try it and see if it works.

check to see if you might have pin worms over 90 % of american has pin worms and dont know it. they have an over the counter pin worm medicine at walmart for about $10 per bottle you have to take 2 doses the 2nd 2 weeks after the first dosse is taken. google symptoms for pin worms you can get more information. my daughter had pin worms she had the same problem with itching on her anal and vaginal area. the dr can give you a test to find out if thats whats causing your problem. i wish you the best of luck
Try soaking a tampon in braggs brand or any organic, raw& unfiltered apple cider vinegar (actual tampon only barely peaking out of plastic insert) with a 3 (Apple cider vinegar) to 1 (filtered water) solution. Keep the tampon in for 15-20 minutes once in morning and once at night at first signs of itchiness or irritation. Also rinse the external area with a paper towel soaked in pure apple cider vinegar. Stay away from dairy and drink water with a lemon slice several times a day. This helped both immediately reduce itchiness and swelling and get rid of issue. Continue to drink lemon water daily as it will keep your ph balance in check - or drink one teaspoon of acv in your glass of water two hours before eating daily. This should help to prevent this occurrence for you as from what you’ve described you may be more prone than average. Hope this helps!
I'm hoping by now you've figured this out, but in case you haven't, being a lesbian doesn't protect you from herpes! Herpes can be passed from vulva to vulva contact or even mouth to vulva contact. If two separate gynecologists say you have herpes, you may, in fact, have herpes, regardless of wether or not you want to accept it or the stigma associated with it.
Helpful - 1
Try Clacium Bentonite Clay powder.  I've had intense labia itching right at the pubic hair line for several years and recently tried this clay powder on it.  No pain and itching stopped immediately.  It's been 5 days and have been applying the powder once a day, no itching.  

No idea how long it will last but love the relief.  Best to you.
Helpful - 1
; It Can Mean Plenty Of Things Such As " OverWeight" I Havnt Had A Cycle In "8" Months Now & Its Becaues To Much Fatning Around And On Your Vaginal Area ! Its Best To Visit A Doctor But Losing Weight And Eating Healthy Will Have Your Periods Back On Track . Sometimes You Will Know When Your Losing Becaues Your Cycle Will Start In Your Process
Helpful - 1
I am 47, and I seem to have the same symptoms as most are describing:  burning and itching of the labia, no yeast infection.  But, here is one difference in my case: my symptoms appear to cyclic.  In other words, my symptoms disappear when I have my period, and start to reappear the closer I get to ovulation.  Has anyone else noticed a pattern in their symptoms?
Helpful - 0
it may just be dry. i'm no doc., but just try this. it workes for me. wet a warm wash cloth - put it in between your legs tonight and go to sleep. Let me know if it feels better in the morning. I don't know what it is, what causes it or anything like that. it's just what i do and it workd.
Helpful - 0
Beleive it or not, what soothes it is an orgasm? Weird....
Helpful - 0
Ask doctor about Lichen Sclerosis. I found out I had it after years ofd the same thing. Never heard of it or knew about it. Look it up on the web and see if you have some other symptoms!
Helpful - 0
Also check out vulvodynia. Some women state that itching was one of the main symptoms that they started with.  If you suspect yeast at all from the taking the antibiotics, I really recommend getting a swab cultured first. If you go and start treating yourself without a diagnosis, this could really lead to a life of pain and discomfort.  Those treatments are harsh and cause destruction of sensitive tissues. Constant irritation can and does lead to painful vulvar symptoms.
Helpful - 0
I don't really suspect yeast, but I will go to the doctor and get cultures done, and post any results on here. The vulvodynia stuff was interesting, I will mention it as well except I don't have pain, just itching-from the entrance (but not in) of the vagina down towards the anus.
Helpful - 0
What ever happened with this?  I too have the exact same thing.  I have experienced yeast infections before and this seems different.  I have no discharge, just itching and a little burning (probably from scratching).  It started at my anus, I think?  I'm trying to think what I have done differently?  I'm not going to the doctor unless I have to.  They are usually a waste of my $.
Helpful - 0
I am having the same symptoms, and I am currently taking an antibiotic - I am not having any discharge or abnormal smells, just the crazy itching & the burning from the scratching.  Please tell us what you've discovered!
Helpful - 0
did you ever find anything out?
Helpful - 0
I have this as well... Its random ithching. Just whenever it wants to come around.  Sometimes after I pee it feels like it may be a UTI. Although I got MORE antibiotics for that and it didn't help. The doctor gave me a pill before ands after my antibiotic treatments just to make sure the "yeast" would go away but it didn't.  Look up thrush and see if these are the same symptoms you all are having. This could be the answer.
Helpful - 0
I also have extreme itching around my vaginal area.  I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a yeast infection.  The doctor prescribed divulcan, but I still have the itch.  I can't sleep at night because of the itching.  Is there anything over the counter that will help allieviate this torture.  
Helpful - 0
I have the same situation.  It started a little while after I gave birth.  It is only an itchy inner labia.  No other side affects.  I was tested for a yeast and bacteria infections.  My ob-gyn has no clue (I went to 2).  It comes and goes and is itchy!!  I can not figure this out!!!
Helpful - 0
Oh wow!!  This is just crazy.  I'm having the same thing.  JUST ITCHING!!  Why can't any doctor figure this out and help us.  It seems like it should be easy to diagnose.  I've been to my OBGYN twice with no success from the creams he gave me, including estrogen cream.  I'm so frustrated I either want to go to another doc or not go back at all.
Helpful - 0
I am having the same thing now.  My boyfriend and I had sex yesterday and I, almost instantly, started having this water-like substance (no odor), come out of me.  Along with a serious uncomfortable itch.  At first I thought that the sex may have been too rough, or a weird angle or something and I just irritated myself.  I managed to get 2 1/2 or so hours of sleep last night because the itch is so unbearable.  But now the next day, the watery substance is gone, but the irritation is more prominent.  I've had yeast infections before, so I'm positive this isn't one.  And the boy and I are both monogomous and have been together for 2 years.  I have no symptoms other than the itch.  And it doesn't even burn when I pee.  I'm seriously at a loss, and cannot find anything online to help.
Helpful - 0
I've just begun to have these symptoms 1 week ago. The itching is only at night though... it begins at around 8pm every night, and there is little to no itching in the day. I have also had yeast infections before and this is definitely not one. I am also in a monogamous relationship so STD's are out of the question.

I haven't called my doctor yet but I have been using hydrocortisone cream and it is a God send. It really helps me move on and be productive and sleep and such.

Recent changes in my life: 2 weeks ago I started Wellbutrin, 6 weeks ago I got a hormonal IUD put in- I wonder if this is a side effect of either? With the IUD situation, I was on my period for about 5 weeks and pretty much right after I stopped my period the itching began...
Helpful - 0
ok, my itch started in the anal area about a week ago. now, that's subsided and the itch is now outside the vaginal area. like the other comment before, an orgasm relieves it! the itch occurs before going to sleep and then in the middle of the night. there is no odor, no burn, no discharge - just severe itching. my doctor did tests - no yeast. she suggested it may be PINWORMS. apparently, the worms hatch eggs at night, that's why it's so damn itchy. and they can crawl up from the anus to the vagina.
Helpful - 0
If anyone has found a solution or an answer to this problem, PLEASE POST IT! I've had this condition for 3 years and I'm at my wits end. It is NOT a yeast infection. The first time I started feeling the itch was after I had a miscarriage. It tends to get worse just before my period. In the beginning it was only at night... but now it can happen any time during the day, too. I have a feeling hormones have something to do with it.
Helpful - 0
I have also had these symptoms for the last 4 years or so.

I wonder if it could have something to do with taking the pill for a 90 day cycle? So it could be hormonal? Anyone on hormone replacement pills when this started?

Or it could be an allergy to detergent?

Comes and goes, I don't have yeast inf or hpv. No discharge. If I suffer the itchiness wo scratching, it goes away. If I scratch it's worse. Married for 7 years
Helpful - 0
having the same problem as everyone here.  it comes and goes and my GYN does not know what it is.  i thought i was wiping too hard but that isn't it.  it isn't a lubricant problem.  someone mentioned Pinworm...i had pinworm as a kid...it's not pinworm.  you will know when you have something that horrible.  i don't have STDs.

i switched from a 30 day BC to a 90 day BC earlier in 2008.  my symptoms didn't start until Oct 2008.  maybe the 90 day BC pill keeps that area of the body from having it's typical blood supply.  maybe that part of the body is indirectly affected somehow during a normal cycle.  i'm not a doc so i don't know.  but no one else seems to have an answer.

anyway, baby power helps for me.  
Helpful - 0
I've researched this on some other sites.  a few ladies are saying this is a type of yeast infection and while many have ruled it out because they don't have the typical symptoms, they have tried anti-fungal steroid cream or anti-yeast cream and have had success getting their cuts, itchiness, or whatever to go away and stay away.

all the other ladies are also saying their doctors don't have a clue.  they are otherwise healthy women.  one lady suggested swabbing the area with rubbing alcohol (it worked for her).  ouch!  no thanks!

i don't have the symptoms of a yeast infection but I'm going to give one of these creams a shot, nothing else is working.  I'll report back in a while with my results.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.