Vaginal Strep in a Non Pregnant Woman

Hi,  I had been having lots of itching, burning and a brownish discharge for two weeks after a fun sex filled weekend with a boyfriend whom I only see every two months or so.  This happens often and I have always treated it as a possible yeast infeciton.  This time it didn't go away and so I saw my ob/gyn.  She took a culture and found strep B, which has nothing to do with Strep A that creates strep throat.  She said she could give me antibiotics to make it go away but then I would get a yeast infeciton from the antibiotics and then we'd have to use another cream etc.  She said just to let it ride it's course.  Now it's been three and ahalf weeks and it's better but not all healed.  Does anyone have any ideas about treating this or preventing this?  Every article on the internet has to do with Strep B in prenatal women (when it is very dangerous for the baby) and nothing about Strep B for regular women in their 40's like me :)  Thanks, I'd love to hear from anyone who has ever been treated for this disease or any doctors out there.
I had GBS for 5 years, and a 6 day course of antibiotics cleared up the problem.  I used a Z-pack, and it cleared the problem right up.
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Can you please tell me the dosage amount of penicillin and bactroban and did they pre-fill the applicators..I found your post online and showed my doctor then called a compounding pharmacy in my area i live in buffalo ny but the compounding pharmacist said she needs the specific amounts of penicillin on how to compound this and she would be happy to do it for me...please help..thanks
Hi- I hope you check this still.  I liked what you had to say about the remedies you used for GBS.  I have been dealing with GBS for 5 years now.  I ordered the Allimax and am awaiting its arrival.  I just wondered how you are feeling present day?
Hi Harleygirl,

I haven't checked this board in forever, but for some reason I checked it today and saw your post.  To answer your question, I am doing FANTASTIC.  It's as though I never had Group B Strep.  I really do believe that the Allimax was the final piece of the puzzle that cleared up my problem.  I hope that you have success with it as well.  I know that it is expensive, but it was worth the cost because it made such a difference.  

Make sure you take it for at least 30 straight days.  I believe I read somewhere that although you may feel better sooner, it takes a good 30 days for it to really get into your bloodstream.  Also, I made it a point to try to not eat so much sugar while I was taking it because I did not want to be feeding the bad bacteria sugar.

I don't use the allicin anymore for Group B Strep, but I do keep some in the house because my husband likes to take one a day just to keep his immune system healthy.  Here is another place to buy it from that I believe has a pretty good price, plus it's a higher dose so you don't have to take as many capsules at once:  http://drherbalnaturals.com/allimed.html

Best wishes to you, and I hope that soon Group B Strep is a thing of the past for you as well.

Sheila
Hi, do you insert the Allimax clove or swollow?

Thanks.
Hi my name is Priscilla. I am 22 years old and just found out that I have Strep B. My husband and I are newly married and we are talking about having a baby. You say you're a single mom, did your children suffer during your pregnancy? How were your pregnancies? I have never heard of Strep B and I don't know what I should do for it. I'm like you. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with hypothyroid and have really heavy periods. I've even had ovarian cysts rupture and have scar tissue on my uterus. Do you think you could help me as to what I should do to help it?
Please or to view.
Thank you Sheila, I have wondered about the sugar in my diet.  I have an organ transplant so I am immunosuppressed (my anti rejections turn off my immune system so it won't cause my organ to fail)  I shall try some of your solututions.
Hi Sheila,
What mg of Allimax do you recommend and is Allimed just as good or would you stick with the Allimax?  How many caps did you take to cure your GBS?
I've seen more gyn's than I can count. All I hear is, gbs is a naturally occurring bacteria...blah blah blah. I've had 3 children and belive after the delivery if my last, the gbs  travelled up my cervix causing PID. Painful sex, tender cervix, yellow/green cm, odor, pelvic pain, back pain, an abcess, you name it, I've got all tge markers fir PID but not one doc will say that PID us caused from strep b. the facts are all over the internet!!!  I believe I've got a compromised immune system and Tgats why I can't beat it down. I've been on all kinds of antibiotics and homeopathic remedies and vitamins. Just starting to come to terms that I have to live with it.  I'm sure something will happen yo my body eventually, sepsis or donethibg. Then there'll be no denying it. I'm tired of fighting with doctors. They don't  get it.
Hello please advise if you've been able to find a solution to your GBS problem? I'm currently looking for one and I keep hearing the same thing you do from all the specialist I've seen.
Allimed is just as good as Allimax.  Allimed comes in the 450 mg capsules.  I would take four of those a day for at least 30 days straight.  They are expensive, but they really work.  You may experience a "healing crisis" the first week and have a high temperature for a day.  
please i need you to coach me on how to do local kefir by myself, i like your advice and i want to try it. thanks alot
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Hi Ladies,

I had Strep B three years ago and managed to get rid of it with a reduced sugar diet and hydrogen peroxide douching (50\50) hydrogen\water twice a day. I only had to douche for 4 days and it was gone for 3 years.

After recently taking strong antibiotics (without also taking probiotics) it is now back with a vengeance. My symptoms are itching and burning and this time some discharge. The hydrogen douching hasn't worked at all sadly this time.

I am using emla numbing cream at night when the itching is at it's worse so I can get some sleep and stop tearing myself to shreds. It is expensive ($20AU for a tiny tube) and I had to tell a fib to get it (said we were having travel vaccinations and need to numb the kids arms) but you only need a tiny bit and it is my saviour at the moment. It stings slightly for about 15 seconds and then blessed relief for a few hours!

To attempt to rebalance myself and my bacteria I am now cutting down sugar, taking blackmores women's biobalance probiotic capsules orally (6 per day), allicin max (8 per day) and inserting PH gel daily. I've also increased my vitamin regime. Fingers crossed. Will report back soon.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I'm 35. Recently diagnosed with a group strep b UTI. Was given cipro, macrobid, and clindamyacin for it over the course of a month. None worked and I ended up in the hospital near sepsis bc the infection had gotten into my bloodstream and started taking over. Was a very serious situation. Glad I stumbled upon this page.
In the hospital I was on vancomyacin via IV and then Rosephin via IV. I also had to go home with a PICC Line (google it) in place and continue the rosephin infusions by IV home health nurse for an additional 5 days. Since then I have had numerous appts with a Urologist. In the hospital I was working with an infectious disease dr. Was in there for a total of about 8-9 days. White blood cells in my blood and urine were off the charts.
Please or to view.
Thank you for posting this.  I went to my NP and had my pap, and I came back positive for this, they say it's not transmittable and it's not an STD, but nobody can say how you get it, and nobody seems to be able to answer my questions and they said I would not be treated unless I got preggo. I'm like why would I NOT want to get treated now. Reading all these posts and everyone else is complaining about burning and itching and I don't have those symptoms, but I don't want to even risk it progressing to that. I'm going to start doing probiotics and look into that cream that you mentioned. I don't want to go through antibiotics and deal with what everyone else is posting about it recurring after antibiotic treatment. I hope that since 2012 when you posted this that you actually had good outcome and no recurrences? If you are still around, I'd love to know how it went through to today? Any recurrences? Or is it gone gone gone!
hi how are you doing with strep b? are you better?
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Hi, I've been reading this for a few hours and although I'm happy that I'm not the only one I am annoyed that since 2009!!! There is no proper cure, why would they only treat pregnant women these symptoms are putting me under so much stress and irritation all the time. It is all confusing me because a lot of people have been saying it all started after they've had sex, but apparently you can't catch it through sex, however I've been seeing trends of people saying their boyfriend has diabetes and they think it is something to do with that, my boyfriend has diabetes also, but I don't want to ask him to get checked for it unless it really could be something to do with him because it will just cause a big argument, I've already made him get an std check and after that he said he never wants me to make him do that again because "he knew he was all clear, and that I should just trust him... I'm 18 and I really don't want to have to go through this the rest of my life, I'm currently on my first treatment of penicillin, although I haven't completed the course yet I'm pretty sure it's not going to do anything for me after reading all of these comments. I'm sick and tired of this as I'm sure most of you are but if anyone has found a proper treatment not just vitamins and putting garlic up there as experiments, I don't have the money for all this experimenting I'm just wondering if anybody can give me some proper advice or if anybody has found a proper cure, I've read from 2009-2013 and after that they all sort of said the same... The symptoms I've got is the itchiness, pure white discharge, and irritation, sex hurts and not only is there the stress of dealing with this ideation but it's getting it in the ear all the time from my partner asking when can we have sex again. Another thing, this could just be me, but the smell of what I've got isn't bad but it's a distinctive one and i remember when I first had sex with my boyfriend it is the same smell as what he smelt like (down there) I didn't think anything of it because it isn't a bad smell it's kind of bland but it is still the same as what I've now got, however he has no symptoms so really don't want to bring it up unless I am right, and one last thing we use condoms all the time so can I really catch it off him from just just touching each other down there-  can you catch strep B and is there a cure??? Thanks  
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
So I saw another doctor because I was still in a lot of pain and I wasn't giving up. I ended up having a exterior urethra polyp. My urine was burning my vulva skin that was causing my pain due to this polyp. The polyp has since been removed and I am back to normal. All these doctors thought it was group b strep that was causing my pain and my condition had actually nothing to do with GBS at all.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I had suffered for 5 years with GBS, and then I had to take a probiotic called VSL 3 for a different problem, and it cleared up the GBS. A recent magazine article had said that VSL 3 was one of the best probiotics on the market, because it will actually recolonize the body with good bacteria. I get it from a large pharmacy/drugstore chain here in the US. If you try to order online, I think it says you need a doctors prescription, but my pharmacy just orders it directly for me whenever I need it. I don't have any problem with GBS any longer, but it is nice to know that VSL 3 is available if I ever need it again.
Thanks for sharing! I've had GBS problems for almost 7 years. I have had some success using probiotics like fem dophilus but it doesnt have as high of a CFU value as VSL 3. I will try it.
I have found that a combination of Cipro and a cephalosporin for one week will clear up the problem.
I am not entirely surprised at the lengths some women will go to to rid themselves of this painful and debilitating disease. I have suffered with it on-and-off for over 5 years since the birth of my first child. Symptoms have become basically the same as severe thrush but swabs come back negative for thrush and positive for GBS. itching, burning, heavy discharge sometimes with blood spotting. Nurse who did my internal exam said it looked grazed inside which explains the above.
Things that help me the most (as antibiotics just cause secondary infections like thrush, so back to square 1 basically) are
Garlic (eaten 3x daily, raw)
Cut out all sugar and wheat flour (as these feed infection)
Sitting in lukewarm water with quarter cup of bicarb of soda (baking soda) as this is anti bacterial and anti fungal and sooo much milder than hydrogen peroxide (which can thin the skin when used often so AVOID!)
Drink lots of water, avoid caffeine and alcohol.
An ice pack between the legs (wrapped in cloth) really helps bring down swelling and reduce urge to itch.
There are sadly no overnight cures and nothing to prevent future flare ups, but these really help.
I always find mine flares up if I've had more sugar than normal - this time it was a macdonalds milkshake on a long car journey - lesson learned!
Hope this helps.
So thankful I found this forum, I have been having symptoms for 2 and a half months, however, I think I have had this on and off for years after reading the posts.  I always treated for a yeast infection, but it would return.   Now it is just brutal, it feels like acid was poured in my vag, occasional itch but not bad, the burning is awful.  I went for urine culture and they found low colony count of strep which would explain what is going on with my vag.  they did a swab and all it said was abnormal flora but did not show strep, but hands down I have all the symptoms.  I am using the vag probiotics, cut sugar out, increased immune boosting supplements but still have symptoms, some days are better than others, I find when I am stressed it flares up bad.  night time is when it is at its peak.
This comment may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Hi there, I am not sure if that is what it is.  I am leaning towards more of a strep infection seeing there is low amounts found in my urine.  The urologist will not treat it because of the low numbers and no WBC, I do get symptoms of cystitis with the burning on the vulva and vaginal area.  I have tried many remedies that I found on this page and some worked for a couple weeks., then I did ozone therapy and that gave me relief for a month and a half.  Now it is back and it seems to flare up right after my period.  Hormones are definately making this come to the surface.  I read about DIV, but I would not say I meet all the criteria of that one.  Doctors have ruled out vaginitis by doing two cultures.  They have not done a strep b test despite me asking.  So I am back doing ozone, I feel a small amount of relief from the two I just had, going to insert probiotics in between to keep the good bacteria up.
THANKYOU FOR THIS...I HAAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH THIS FOR OVER A MONTH... I COULDNT DIFFER WHETHER I AM HAVING GROIN PAIN/PELVIC PAIN. I AM POST TOTAL HYSTER FOR 4YRS AND I'VE BEEN NOTICING GROIN PAIN WHEN I WAS HAVING RECURRENT YEAST INFECTIONS WONDERING WITH THE AWFUL ODOR WTHeck IS GOING ON...????? NOTICING PAIN IS VAGINAL AND IS HURTING ACROSS PELVIC INTO RIGHT GROIN WHICH HURTS TO THE CORE AS I LIFT MY LEG TO WALK OR JUST REXING..... FIND OUT TODAY W CULTURE RESULTS THAT IT IS MYCOPLASMA,UREEAPLASM, STREP B, YEAST INFECTION!!!!!!!
1. TINIZADOLE, 2. DOXYC 100mg I HAVE FINISHED SO TODAY WILL GET NEW ANTIBIOTIC TO HOPEFULLY BEGIN THIS TREATMENT PROGRAM & GET BACK ON MY VITAMINS & PROBIOTIC WHICH IFAITHFULLY USED  TO TAKE....BUT INCURRED SOME HEALTH ISSUES ALONG W DEPRESSION AND MY IMMUNE SYSTEM IS NOTICEBLY NOT WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE.... STARTING NOW W/NEW PRESCRIPTION HOPEFULLY SOON AND CHANGE MY DIET BK TO NO SUGAR, MORE WATER, VEGGIES & PROTEIN (been eating OREO cookies dble stuff, & sour sweet-tarts @  nite)...... GETTING BACK TO MY PART...a HEALTHIER.ME!!!!!!!!!

THANKFUL FOR ALL THE POSITIVE INSIGHT & EXPERIENCES....
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I had suffered for 9 years with GBS until I realized that GBS is only a problem when there is an imbalance in the natural flora. I started taking certain probiotics and it made a difference. However, the thing that finally cured the problem for good was an energy machine called the Ondamed.   This machine targets bacteria with energy that destroy the bacteria. After 9 years of having GBS, only 2 minutes using the Ondamed wiped the problem out for good. I could not believe how long I had suffered because I did not know about this treatment option. It is so good to know that if I ever get reinfected I can get it treated quickly.
Hi what is Ondamed?
Please or to view.
Hello ladies. I too have had issues for the past 2 months and after being diagnosed with a yeast infection (that wasn't the problem) and being given the wrong treatments, I finally found out I was strep b positive.

The thing is, sometimes physicians think they've seen it all and know it all and unfortunately give us the wrong treatment that makes us worse and I feel as though I have to go in telling my physician what they need to do, in my case, do the right testing. Eventually when the correct test results came back (after I insisted on it), a simple smear test (after being tested for all STD's, and having multiple urine and blood tests done) I was given antibiotics which the follow up test showed has cleared the strep b, however, I am still left with burning and discomfort, it's actually making me pretty depressed as you all know what a struggle this all is. To be totally frank, because I had read so much about strep b being so hard to beat, I think while going through the antibiotic treatment I kept believing that it wasn't going to work and of course I still have symptoms after the infection is gone. which is probably a combination of all the wrong medication I received previously and my mind not wanting to believe the antibiotics were going to work

The point i'm trying to make here is, I know we all go online out of curiosity and desperation, but please please please, don't self medicate, don't use all sorts of natural remedies that may not be beneficial to you and your body. My specialist is telling me vinegar baths may have caused more irritation than good in my case

Go and see your Dr immediately, if you see them guessing what it might be you have put your foot down, ask to be tested so you know and they know what it actually wrong.

I feel like all this medication and ointments i've been given have made my body very sensitive and I'm going back to my specialist to see what I need to do now, as I am still burning.

I know we all mean well and want to be helpful but reading posts online could be dangerous and scary, our situations are all different and our bodies are all different. Reading about familiar symptoms may trick our brains into believing we have a condition that we don't really have or that we may not heal because someone else hasn't, this could be very dangerous as the mind has the power to affect the body.  

As for me, I have stopped all the other treatments I was given and i only follow what my specialist has told me to do until I see him again soon so hopefully we can beat this beast, whatever it is

So go see your doctor and take care of you. The only thing that has always helped me a little is meditation, it may not heal but it will calm you down. Much love to anyone who's suffering, you will heal
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Hi, I have 2 questions : did you have some kind of discharge and if yes- what was it like? And during the healing process were you on some diet like no sweet, no white bread etc.? Thanks in advance.
Oh and for how long did you use multigyn actigel ?
And one more- dhea is a hormone, so were you afraid that by putting a hormone into your body it may result in hormonal disbalance, because if your dhea levels are normal then by putting it  inside your body, the levels may grow in excessice amounts . And p.s. I am very happy for you. You brought my will back. I just started your regiment by putting multigyn every night but for now there is no result ( it has been only a week after all). So when I find this probiotic that you wrote and dhea pills I will start doing it all properly.
P.s. How much time after the beginning of the treatment did you start to feel better and the symptoms to disappear?
And did alocohol affect your UTI badly. For example after a night of drinking was it more painful for you to pee than the everyday pain?
Also did you have burning feeling when you put multigyn ?
And did you have some days when you felt better and after that- worse than ever, then good again and bad again an so on.
And for how long did you take the probiotic with lactob. Rhamnosus and reuteri?
And since you feel good again , have you taken antibiotics for some other reason like angina or smth else? If yes what was the result?
I feel hopeful after reading your comments… What exactly is DHEA treatment? And can you tell me which pub med articles you read? And how are you improved your badge in the flora which probiotics you talk? I have been dealing with this for four years and it’s creating a lot of depression and hopelessness I really feel like I will never enjoy sex again
Hi I feel hopeful after reading that you got better. Can you tell me which pubmed article see you read,  And what you did to get better for example what probiotics you talk? And did you still take antibiotics for the GBs ??
Please or to view.