Autoimmune Disorders Community

I am confused

I am new to the group and I am confused.  For 15 years I have had recurring episodes of vertigo, balance/walking problems, which would go into complete remission.  I developed depression and anxiety attacks, but my episodes would suddenly hit when I was not depressed or anxiousl  I bagan feeling very fatigued to the point I had difficulty driving to work (45 mi one way), became so fatigued and then depressed I had to quit my job.  I was unable to leave my bed for weeks.  I began seeing a psyche who blamed it all on mental chemical imbalances.  this too, went into remission.  Suddenly in March of 2012 the fatigue hit with chest pain.  I had a full heart work up, all ok.  The summer was VERY hot and last August I got up with sudden vertigo, violent headache, double vision nausea.  Went to the doc and was hospitalized with supposed inner ear infection.  I was back in the hospital a week later and they sched a neuro appt.  I had another mri (previous mri's had shown some lesions), and I had a LP and multiple blood workups.  The LP showed O-bands and I was dx with MS.  I saw an MS specalist, who ruled out MS and ran various tests for nerve and inner ear.  Saw a neuro ophthalomologist who could not determine the cause of my double vision.  nobody knew why I had fatigue and extreme muscle weakness or imbalance.  Things have improved but not gone into remission as before.  I have made two trips to Mayo in Rochester - 10 hrs each way..  I am trying to live a normal life but if I have a busy day, or do too much physically, I spend several days recovering. Some days I can barely climb the stairs without resting and have fallen in my own home from imbalance and weakness.  Recently for several days I experienced tremors, extreme muscle and limb twitching.  I am waitng to hear from Mayo neuro.  However, I can go online and check lab results and doc notes.  The lab results show 4 or more O bands but low IGg.  However doctors notes say normal CSF, no evidence for MS or paraneoplastic disease.  No malignancy or lymphocytes.  So I am researching everything.  I found a reference to Devics disease but I can't correlate the O Band findings with the low levels of IGg.  Does anyone have any ideas?  All suggestions appreciated  I have also found reference to thymus disorders.

Hi!
Apart from MS, Oligoclonal bands in spinal fluid are also seen in Lyme’s, lupus (SLE), neuro sarcoidosis, subarachnoid hemorrhage, spinal cord lesions associated with Devic’s disease, and syphilis. So, yes, Devic’s disease is a possibility and should be investigated for. If possible, try and see an internal medicine specialist with good knowledge in autoimmune disorders. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.