Autoimmune Disorders Community

Is there a chance that a woman with Antiphospholipid syndrome (Hughes syndrome) can carry a baby to full term?

I suffer from crippling migraines that begin with shapes and lights infront of my eyes and include soreness behind me eyes through out and have done since i was a teenager. I have bad circulation too and i found out yesterday that im suffering my second misscarriage. Im just fed up and the procedure for investigating miscarriages means they wont do anything untill ive had 3. I dont want to go throught the heart ache again. I've had a look online and found that Antiphospholipid syndrome can be a big cause of miscarriage and the symptoms include, migraines with shapes/lights, circulation problems and miscarriage. I have a 3 year old son and carried him normally when i was 19 with no complications during my pregnancy. I can find any info anywhere to tell me whether there is a chance i have this condition even though i carried normally with my first child. Any help would be so much appriciated!
Hi! Well yes, antiphospholipid syndrome can cause miscarriage, but it may not be the cause in your case. The migraines may or maynot be related. Only proper investigations will tell.
A miscarriage can be very traumatic and I can understand your apprehensions. Each pregnancy behaves separately. Also some causes of miscarriage are related to that pregnancy alone. Some causes tend to recur and you must be careful about these. Generally first trimester abortions or abortions occurring in first three months are due to fetal abnormality, genetic causes, Rh blood group incompatibility and low progesterone hormone. Infection of the uterus, endometriosis, fibroids, etc are some other causes for early abortion. Diabetes, eclampsia, preeclampsia, infection, cord accident, placental insufficiency, small for age baby etc are the various causes that should be looked into if you have second and third trimester abortions. Genetic counseling and help may also be needed for this. You need to consult your gynecologist and run some tests to rule out these causes.  Also please consult a headache and migraine specialist. Proper diagnosis and treatment of your problem can help prevent future miscarriages.
Take care!