Cats Community

Chronic Viral Syndrome

Dear Sir or Madam,

My most recent rescue came from the shelter with an "upper respiratory infection" that was recalcitrant to several antibiotics per the rescue organization. I have had her on 12.5 mg of Zeniquin once daily for nearly three months and added ViraLys 1 tsp. daily two weeks ago. Her symptoms are few but include a thick, green nasal discharge from the right nostril, sneezing, and periodically watery discharge from both eyes.

The symptoms have waxed and waned several times disappearing completely for nearly two weeks only to return. She is otherwise playful with a hearty appetite, excellent stools, nice coat, good gums and teeth. My most recent encounter with the vet left her with the diagnosis of "chronic viral syndrome." I have had extensive experience in the past with the herpes virus and cats and all signs and symptoms would seem to point to this virus being the offending culprit.

Is there anything else that I can try? At one point I gave 1 ml of Roferon-A orally once daily to another cat with a similar infection in addition to using the VirOptic and idoxyuridine drops; however, she had significant ocular involvement, unlike this cat. Are there any antiviral nasal drops that might be of benefit, i.e. could the VirOptic be used nasally? I have also been adding Omega 3/Omega 6 fatty acid supplements to her food (Waltham). Would you recommend the interferon or any other supplement/prescription?

Thank you for your consideration and suggestions.

Morgan
"Esther," cat, 9 months, FS
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi Morgan....just a suggestion, you should post this question on the EXPERT FORUM, thats where you'll  get a reply from a Vet.
On here we are only other pet owners and don't have the expertise to answer the medical answers you are looking for!!
best of luck getting to the bottom of this problem.