Sore scab in nose wont go away...been a rough ride...

Here is the story,

I have had a sore in my left nostril for years now towards the cartilage.  No, its not from coke or anything as I have never done anything like that.  I get a scab, I blow it out of my nose, and it comes back 12hrs to 24hrs later. I tried to explain that it blows out on a regular basis.  Sometimes I pick it out and it bleeds.  I use saline spray and saline gel on a regular basis and have used vasaline, bacitracin, and antifungal steroid creme.    

I have gone to 2 ENT specialists.  1st one told me not to pick my scab and it will heal.  Well that’s pretty much impossible because I blow my nose and it comes out (if I keep it lubricated).  Also, the scab covers my airway and is unbearable.  2nd doc cauterized my nose to “shock it” and stimulate cell growth.  It didn’t work.  Was painful as heck and then I found out I was allergic to basitracin.  I then had Nose surgery for a biopsy, and it came back negative, so no cancer (yay!).  He said that is seems like the cells aren’t normal in my nose so it isn’t healing right.

Here is the problem though, from the biopsy, he cut up my nose, and now that area he cut out will not heal either.  So he took a small area that wouldn’t heal, and made it much larger.  As disgusting as this sounds, it forms a scab and oddly resembles a craisin in size and color.  It is like a blood clot and the scab gets so large it blocks my airway, but now it is so far back from the surgery that I cant even see the sore in the mirror.  

I went to the ENT for a follow up, but I ended up seeing another doctor and they told me to just keep it moist.  It was typical but useless advice because it just keeps scabbing up!  Anyways, I am seeing the ENT that did my surgery on Friday, and I hope he has some sort of solution.  It just doesn’t make sense, some weeks I try to leave it alone for a couple days, and it feels like it might scab up and never come back, then I blow the scab out and it feels completely gone!  But then it comes back within a day.  

I am mentally and physically exhausted from this nose issue   I feel like I have done everything in my power, and it is even worse than when I started.  Any advice or related stories are welcomed.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This may be long, but I tell you what i know. I was in the Navy in early 90's, I was assigned fire watch for two weeks, in the bottom of a aircraft carrier in 1992. Every night when I went back to the barracks, I would wash my nose out. My nose was filled with black smut from the arc-gouging they were doing. At the end of the two weeks, both of my nostrils developed sores in the center wall, both sides.

Days, months, then years went by. Around 2005 or so, my left nostril healed...yeah! However my right nostril still today has scar tissue. The scar tissue bothers me, so I peel it out, this is not easy to do. Sometimes it bleeds profusely if I catch it wrong. Sometimes it doesn't bleed. At any rate, it's sore to touch and the nerves are connected to my teeth on that side.

I'm going to try Ayr again. Maybe I should just leave it alone. It's amazing how fast the scar tissue grows, in two days there was another new layer. One reason I keep pulling it out, is hoping it won't come back. That's how I remember the left side becoming scar free, one day it was just a small piece then, and I didn't mess with it too much after that and it slowly went away.

I worry about infections, now that I'm 42, gotta stay healthy! Hope yours got better!
Helpful - 0
Have had this for about 2 years now, off and on... don't know what it's from. My boyfriend gets it too but doesn't seem as bad or as often as I get it. It's like a paper cut at the end of my nose but goes inside the nostril as well where it forms a larger scab. It can be one spot or a few at one time. OUCH! It will seem to heal but keeps coming back...???
Helpful - 0
This is amazing to me that people replied to my original post!  I totally didnt see this for 6 yrs, its crazy to me that 6 years have past!! unfortunately I have no progress to report :(  It is still a huge problem for me daily.  I have not been back to the ENT in years, but my wife is now a nurse, so as soon as medical kicks in I will start to go back, i really want a solution! I have sent her this thread and will try many of your solutions mentioned!!  I am truely thankful i made this post years ago, to know other suffer the same way as I do make me feel at home (oddly enough!) and I hope we can find a common solution!  Cheers to all of you!
Helpful - 0
And it's still going....I can't believe so many with the same condition, including me, unfortunately. I am on oxygen and unfortunately I have to be super careful not to use anything that may be petroleum based products.  Very dangerous for me. A known carcinogen that I don't need blasted into my lungs. I know of one water based gel that's safe for people on oxygen and it's not cheap. I will look into the lanolin, and be tested for mersa and impetigo.  A big Thank you for all the suggestions
I am going crazy with my nose problems.  I too have the sores and tenderness described here in detail, but the worst park is the constant urge to pick.. It makes me crazy and I can't even get a full nights sleep.Seeing my ENT tomorrow and going to beg her for some relief beyond the oily sprays and creams. I wish somebody a had an answer for me.
Helpful - 0
I have been convinced all day that I have nose cancer. After reading all of these posts, I will sleep better!!  It's so annoying!
Helpful - 0
I have had this problem on and off, scab never seems to heal. I use betnovate crème (which I use on and off for eczema). This works pretty quickly and the problem goes away - - till it returns a month or so later - then another dab of crème  works again. It appears to be a  Staphylococcus infection the bacteria of which lives in the nose  and there does not appear to be much you can do about it other than crème.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Ear, Nose & Throat Community

Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
Discover the common causes of and treatments for a sore throat.
Learn about what actually causes your temperature to spike.
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
Family medicine doctor Enoch Choi, MD helps differentiate between the common cold and more threatening (bacterial) infections
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life