HIV/STD Test Reliability

I posted in this forum a couple of weeks ago about my worries of possibly having contracted HIV or an STD and was advised that HIV tests are highly reliable at 4 weeks after potential exposure. Exposure was low risk but I'm a bit of a worrier.

I had my test at 35 days (5 weeks) after and I have read and been told that a HIV test at this point is reliable over 97% of the time. I'm just wondering is this figure accurate?

Also what is the reliability of a blood test for syphilis, herpes and other STDs at 5 weeks? I've read and been told that it is a similar percentage of reliability, just wondering if this is correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

You did not have a low-risk scenario. It was NO risk.
Hi James,

Thanks for the quick reply. Granted my risk was no risk but I'm sure you can understand people over worrying and thinking the worse.

In respect to the reliability of tests do you have any further information on that? I suppose this is probably more suited to the STD community? But I was just curious about the reliability mainly to put my mind at rest.

Thanks again

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community