PCR reliability

I've read various articles and posts claiming that PCR tests are not considered reliable after a certain amount of time. I asked my doctor for one nine weeks after a potential oral exposure (with no ejaculation) that came back negative.

I would like to know if that test is considered reliable. Also, are standard ELISA tests normally administered in hospital labs when PCR tests are requested?

I understand what this website's stance is regarding HIV and oral exposures. My question more so pertains to the PCR test itself.

Thanks in advance for your response.
It depends whether it was a DNA or RNA test. Only the RNA test is approved for diagnostic use. Anyway, it doesn't matter what type of test you take if you only had oral sex.
PCR-DNA tests are not accurate at 12 days.
They aren't approved for diagnostic use.
Oral sex is not a risk of HIV transmission.

You are reading content posted in the HIV Prevention Community