Hepatitis C Community

HepC and medical marijuana (cannabis)

Daily cannabis smoking is a risk factor for progression of fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C.
Patients with ongoing chronic hepatitis C should be advised to refrain from regular cannabis use.

Abstract available at http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/15892090
Hi Sue.  I also read that article and was rather surprised.  
Unfortunately have a friend whom upon finding out he had Hep C decided no more alcohol and to engage in smoking pot.  At the time there was no hard evidence suggesting progression and or side effects.
He recently presented with Cirrhosis and Liver Cancer.  Not to say the pot was the main culprit, but with this insidious virus no one can feel immune from its wrath.
.....Kim

The liver consultant at King's College hospital told my best friend that smoking up to an ounce a week would not really be an issue-he continued to smoke,he's really good now 10 years post tx.I have heard of hcv nurses suggesting weed to increase appetite whilst on tx.I think in moderation it is  a healthier alternative to alcohol.