Aa
A
A
A
Close
High Blood Pressure / Hypertension Community
828 Members
514349 tn?1272805233

What risk am I for ahving taken Hyzaar that was contaminated with NDEA?

I received a notice in the mail regarding this hypertensive medication that I have been taking for quite some time. Apparently some batches contained N-Nitrosodimethlamine (NDEA) which is a "probable carcinogen". The letter contained no information on how long this had been going on or how high a content the tablets contained, but my medicine was included in the batch list that was sent. Of course, I received a replacement tablets from the pharmacy where I get them. How great a risk could the previous tablets pose to me?
1 Responses
973741 tn?1342346373
Hi there. Sorry about this situation, that stinks.  I found this information which was really helpful. https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/valsartan-losatran-bp-med-recalls-2018-19.  Basically, the risk is 'very small'.  If 8,000 people took the medication that had the NDEA in it every single day for 4 years, there might be ONE case of cancer in those 8,000 people. But since it can happen, they recalled it.  And hey, I'd not want to take a drug that had potential cancer risk associated with it.

So, I wouldn't be too worried over all. Talk to your doctor at your next visit.  good luck
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.