Lupus Community

Neverending Flare

So I got diagnosed last year with only Subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus. I got diagnosed via a biopsy from a swollen, red area of skin under my right eye. It's only on one side, and has never stopped being swollen or red. I've had it for 3 years, and have tried various things. Strangers ask if I've been in a bad fight on its more touchy days. Has anyone any medical advice on avenues to talk to my dr. about that worked for you?
I've been taking plaquinel for a year, have cleaned up my diet and cosmetic routine, and have kept from the sun. I just want it to go down in swelling, but the anti-inflammatory lifestyle i've been living has only cured my acne problems, not this. The rash *****, but the swelling kills me more than anything; I actually looked good before I developed quasi moto syndrome. :(

Really any personal experience or advice is much appreciated, and for those of you with full systemic, I'm sorry..I always have guilt asking help from people who see my condition as ideal.
HI sonicx2218.

Look into underlying causes, such as TNF-a, an immune inflammatory process which causes also connective tissue breakdown.
Any impairment in the efficient  removal of dead tissue, may cause the activation of an autoimmune response , thus the "never-ending flare".
(I have developed a biologics natural/herbal analogue protocol to inhibit TNFa, without the exorbitant costs and immuno-suppressive side-effects of biologics. If interested, I can forward this to you FYI.)

Also look into the possibility of unresolved hypothyroidism as a co-factor.

Here's a relevant study abstract:

"Thyroid autoantibodies in the subsets of lupus erythematosus: correlation with other autoantibodies and thyroid function."

Thirty four sera from: 12 patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), 9 with Subacute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus (SCLE) and 13 with Discoid Lupus Erythematosus (DLE) (disseminatus 3, localised 10) were tested for the presence of: (a) anti-thyroglobulin and anti-microsomal autoantibodies (b) anti-Sm/RNP, anti-doublestranded. DNA (anti-ds. DNA), anti-single-Stranded. DNA (anti-ss. DNA), anti-cardiolipin (anti-Cl), anti-SSA, anti-SSB, Antinuclear Antibodies (ANA). T3, T4, TSH levels were also determined. Five patients with SLE (41.6%), 4 with SCLE (44.4%), and 2 with DLE (15.3%) had thyroid autoantibodies and only three of the 41 controls (7.3%). Five patients (14.7%), especially from SLE and SCLE groups, had biochemical hypothyroidism whereas only one had hyperthyroidism. Statistical evaluation for the possible coexistence of thyroid autoantibodies with a panel of lupus characteristic autoantibodies, revealed highly significant correlations with anti-Sm/RNP, IgG (p = 0.003) and anti-ds. DNA, IgM (p = 0.012). It may be concluded, that not only SLE but also SCLE predisposes to autoimmune thyroid disease and the prevalence of the latter is related to a great extent to the subset of the LE spectrum. From these results and from the inhibition experiments, it seems that some of the specific mono- or polyclonal autoantibodies may be multiple organ reactive.
Ref: PMID: 7508737

It is noteworthy that all thyroid testing was  by conventional serum testing, therefore hypothyroidism type 2 (thyroid resistance), would have not been detected. (My own observation)

If you need any details regarding proper thyroid testing to reflect accurate
tissue thyroid function or anything else, please let me know.

Note that my comments are not intended a replacement for medical advice.

Best wishes.
Niko
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.